DMARC Support for mailmaps

ctino

I've been using MailChimp for a sending information to my customers using my Gmail address as the 'from' address, but Gmail doesn't support DMARC fully, so many of my announcements are getting sent to spam. Or more specifically Gmail is very effective a blocking emails sent from MailChimp, because of DMARC authentication. However, I can't send 'from' a Gmail address via MailChimp and have valid DMARC authorization so it will be accepted and delivered "TO" Gmail addressed. (I'm sure I'm not quite stating that correctly.)

I have some mailmaps setup for my domain registered with zoneedit, will these get marked the same the same way or will using an address on a domain that I own have a better chance of delivery.

Thanks for your help.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Well.. you would not be able to send from your mail map address.... they are receive only.

thanks
sandy

That response seems a little incomplete. I think the question is:
When a Gmail address is used as the "from" address in MailChimp, and the receiving server checks with Gmail, DMARC rules recommend rejecting the email (because it didn't originate at Gmail servers but MailChimp servers). SO, if a mailmap address is used as the "from" address in MailChimp, and the receiving mail server queries ZoneEdit servers (which host the email domain), will they get a DMARC "all clear", no response, or something else?

I did some research on this (that is how I found this post). And it looks like you can use a mailmap address as the "from address" but you have to add a couple of DNS entries. MailChimp describes them here (http://kb.mailchimp.com/delivery/deliverability-research/set-up-custom-dkim) mine look like this...

aliases (CNAME records)
HOST = k1._domainkey.moignard.com
ADDRESS = dkim.mcsv.net
TTL = default

TXT records
HOST = moignard.com
TEXT = v=spf1 include:servers.mcsv.net ?all
TTL = default

Note:set the "host" to @ for the TXT entry

ctino

Thanks for sharing the results of your research.

I was going to feel bad for not finding that article before I posted this question, but it looks like it was published this month.
Thank you again.

Alas, after going to these lengths, my gmail account still turfed the campaign email into the spam folder - just based on some other non-DMARC rule : )

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again

it seems you would need to find out from mailchimp what DMARC record to create as a txt record and add that into the domains zone file.

thanks
sandy