Dazed & confused: WHICH nameservers work???

If you are a paying ZE customer, do you get to use reliably working nameservers?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bill Cole

I have 2 legacy secondary DNS domains with ZoneEdit: scconsult.com and solidclues.com. On an irregular basis and every time I make any change on my primary, I verify that everything is working right and tend to use the tools at dnscheck.pingdom.com or dnscheck.ripe.net because they're more thorough than my aging brain.

So, yesterday was one of those days and I used the dnscheck.pingdom.com tool to check scconsult.com. To my surprise, it told me that neither ns13.zoneedit.com nor ns14.zoneedit.com were answering UDP or TCP queries. In alarm I logged into ZE and dug around the knowledge base rather uselessly: no page I could find says what NS records to use for free domains with simple secondary service. Eventually in the control panel I was able to find that dns{1,2}.zoneedit.com are now the nameservers to use. So I edit my master zone files, update the SOA serial, rndc reload, see the sending of notifies logged, and see the notify acknowledgment in hits on my firewall rules that exist to let the ZE AXFR machines skip anything that might inadvertently block them. Eventually (23m after the notify for one domain, 95m for the other!) the zone transfers finally happen. Because the second transfer was so delayed, I didn't even see that it had happened until this morning. I rechecked the 1st domain last night and it looked good: dns{1,2} are answering and have the right zone serial. I rechecked the 2nd this morning: bad. Neither of dns{1,2} answers the Pingdom checker or my own system. The OLD ones (ns{13,14}) answer just fine with aa flags on the answers: they think they're authoritative, which is fine I guess... 10 minutes later, dns{1,2} also are answering the RIPE checker just fine.

12:18 EDT, I did minor (SOA serial and TTL) changes to both zones, reloaded, notifies sent and ack'd, rechecked: now the new machines are talking to the pingdom checker but not to me, and of course ZE didn't do the AXFR in a timely manner so they had the old serial. 12:55: one zone gets AXFR'd but not the other. The querylog shows that 64.68.198.91 asked for the SOA right before the AXFR, a minute short of the SOA refresh time after its last query for the SOA, exactly as if sending notifies to the ZE nameserver is worthless.

So... I've got 3 questions that probably only ZE can answer and one for other users:
  1. Which ZE nameservers should I actually put in my NS records?
  2. Is the intermittent availability of apparently ALL ZE nameservers just a case of getting what I pay for, these being 2 legacy zones from the ancient epoch of free secondaries?
  3. Is the reply from 64.68.198.91 to my server's NOTIFYs an indication that there's a real NOTIFY-driven AXFR queue somewhere that just takes a long time to get through or is there significance to the fact that ZE seems to just use the SOA refresh time?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there.

dns1 and dns2 are the best nameservers for you to use, although the others should work fine as well. Not sure why you have been seeing an intermittant problem with those nameservers yesterday, no problems have been reported .... Yes there is a real AXFR driven transfer server involved ... I have requested a tier 2 representative to take a look concerning the trouble you are having with the XFRs as well as the intermittent problems being reported with the nameserver availability,

thanks
sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again

I have heard back from Tier 2:

OK, so I think the problem here actually relates to the fact he seems to have 2 nameservers he's using for this, one at 67.149.19.3 and one at 67.149.19.4, but he's only told our system to use the .4 as the primary nameserver. We got the notifies from 67.149.19.3 in the time frame he mentions, like 12:18 on the Thursday and 6:53 the day before that, but the 67.149.19.4 server only sent notifies at 12:55 and 7:24 respectively. So I have a suspicion what is happening is he is actually making the updates on the .3 server, that is taking some time to make it to the .4 server within his network for some reason and only once it gets there can we do the transfer. I'm fairly sure he can solve this issue by changing the IP we use for primary from 67.149.19.4 to 67.149.19.3 as that is the server I am seeing timely notifies from.

I'm not seeing any transfer failures or timeouts which would point to a cause for actual DNS unavailability that he reports, if he can reply with specific times when he's seen such trouble I can look into what was happening on the system at that time..

thanks
sandy

Bill Cole

WOW, Thanks!

It's actually one server but the host has got 2 IP's on one interface and I had entirely ignored the possibility that I was sending notifies via the wrong one. Fixable by cleaning up my network config & making sure all the relevant NS+A's are right, obviously. Will do so and test.

I'll also try to reproduce the nameserver availability issue, which was not limited to my own systems, and nail down solid times.