Convert Secondary DNS to Primary DNS

David Hurst

I have a legacy ZoneEdit account which I've been using to run secondary DNS for a domain. I'd like to change this so that ZoneEdit name servers are primary for the domain. When I click on the DNS Settings tab on the Domain Administration page, I see only a row for "secondary information" with an option to set the primary name servers.

How do I convert the domain so that the primary DNS is served from ZoneEdit?

Thanks,
--DaveH

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi Dave... make sure you have a copy of the zone file first...
on that dns tab, click the primary DNS link .. click edit and then remove the primary IP.
Once tat has been done the DNS settings link will allow you to load a primary zone file manually.
If the zone file is quite large then the tools tab has a zone import feature that may be helpful.

I hope this helps
sandy

David Hurst

Sandy,
I'm still not seeing where I can load a primary zone file. I select "Domain Overview" for the domain and then "DNS Settings" tab. This shows a line labelled "Secondary information" with "primary NS | TSIG | cache" links. When I go to the "primary NS" link, I can remove the primary NS, but when I go back to the DNS Settings tab, I still see a line labelled "Secondary information" with the same links. I don't see any where I can load a primary zone file. At the bottom of the page is a table called "All domains" with a "dns" link next to the domain name. Going here I see tabs for "Streamlined Editor" and "Modular Editor". But these don't seem to provide a way to upload a zone file. They are also very minimal and I'm not seeing all the options described in the video on how to set up DNS for a domain. What am I missing?

Thanks,
--DaveH

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
I see the issue... let me know when you are ready and I will set the domain to primary. Once I do .. on the tools tab there will be a zone import tool or you can ad the zone manually via the DNS
settings links... or if you can get me a copy of the zone file in BIND format and send it to access@easydns.com atn Sandy then I can load the zone for you.

thanks
sandy