@ and www DNS settings question

surecomp

www resolves to my web host (powweb), but not http:// without the www. Below is the tools output. What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

;
; ZoneEdit
; TotalDNS Engine ZONE FILE ver 1.0
;
; surecomputing.com
;
; generated: 02-Sep-2016 22:44:28 local time
; 03-Sep-2016 02:44:28 GMT
;

$ORIGIN surecomputing.com.
@ IN SOA dns0.zoneedit.com. zone.zoneedit.com. 1472870668 2400 360 1209600 7200
@ IN NS ns14.zoneedit.com.
@ IN NS ns15.zoneedit.com.
www IN NS ns1.powweb.com.
www IN NS ns2.powweb.com.
@ IN MX 0 surecomputing-com.mail.protection.outlook.com.
autodiscover IN CNAME autodiscover.outlook.com.
email IN CNAME email.secureserver.net.
lyncdiscover IN CNAME webdir.online.lync.com.
msoid IN CNAME clientconfig.microsoftonline-p.net.
sip IN CNAME sipdir.online.lync.com.
@ IN TXT "MS=ms17500688"
@ IN TXT "v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all"

; END OF ZONE FILE

El.

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

Your NS records are the reason the www works, and not the root (@). In essence, you have set up split up your DNS for the domain name so that "www" works off of one set of name servers, and the rest of the domain name, (@ and any other subdomain) resolves through ZoneEdit name servers.
Can you manage the entire zone through your webhost? If so, you don't need to use ZoneEdit for DNS. You'd set up all records, including MX, etc, there. Otherwise, get an IP address for your hosting server from your webhost, remove the NS records for www, and set up A records for @ and www through your ZoneEdit account page.

El.

Administrator
Staff member
Or...

If you want to try this first... set up @ as a URL forward and point it to www.surecomputing.com. This is a non-standard ways of setting it up (having www handled by speficic name servers), and then redirecting the root to it via different name servers, but it could work.

surecomp

Hi,

Your NS records are the reason the www works, and not the root (@). In essence, you have set up split up your DNS for the domain name so that "www" works off of one set of name servers, and the rest of the domain name, (@ and any other subdomain) resolves through ZoneEdit name servers.
Can you manage the entire zone through your webhost? If so, you don't need to use ZoneEdit for DNS. You'd set up all records, including MX, etc, there. Otherwise, get an IP address for your hosting server from your webhost, remove the NS records for www, and set up A records for @ and www through your ZoneEdit account page.

Thanks for the reply. I added an A record with @ pointing to the IP of the web server. Should I now remove the www that points to my hosts dns servers and just let Zoneedit's handle everything? If so, do I then need www to point to surecomputing.com as well? thanks again! I want Zone Edit to handle DNS, not my web host if possible.