Alert: Your thread has been deleted. What???? Why???

Willo

Hi Zoneedit,

Yesterday I posted a question about DDNS clients built into UTM's or routers, valid question really.

Today when I log in I get an alert that the thread has been deleted. Why?????? I can see in the forums that some one has decided to spam the forums, maybe why??

I have both DIY DD-WRT routers and enterprise class UTM's running in my environment and the DD-WRT is showing errors but "appears" to be updating the DNS record, so to me that is "unreliable". As I need a reliable service for updating the Dyn IP, I'm thinking of moving the service to another appliance. Problem is it doesn't appear to have out of the box support for ZE but it does offer RFC 2136 "Generic DDNS" support. So does ZE support RFC 2136?

Willo

Willo

Just as more information to my questions above, these are the parameters I'll need to configure if I change the appliance the DDNS service runs on:

set monitor-interface "wan"
set ddns-server genericDDNS
set ddns-domain "samplezone.no-ip.info"
set ddns-server-ip <sample IP>
set ddns-zone "samplezone"
set ddns-ttl 60
set ddns-auth tsig
set ddns-keyname "key123"
set ddns-key 'ENC MjAxMnSODyLuDX10HUlzN1aQf37Mnd8kbaunEADCqgL/HOJ0iEZYD
jD0PR5geYikgGEQipQhUXzTp9NYrqb1xY3hQ5mNNYqoNf7bZINK/Q6a0K5JrROpXVtgHKs
='

Can Zoneedit support these requirements??

Also the appliance supports:

easydns.com — supports members.easydns.com.

will that help??

Last edited:

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there

I am sorry... most likely your message was in the middle of a large set of spam messages.

the members.easydns.com will not work with zoneedit but the server would be:
(http://api.cp.zoneedit.com/dyn/tomato.php)

so if yo uuse that server name along with the parameters:
user ID ( your zoneedit user ID)
dyn auth code ( created on the dyn records module on your zoneedit members page)
host: domain.com as example or * for wildcad updates

it should work fine.

thanks
sandy

Willo

Hi Sandy,

I really appreciate your reply and help. I thought that those spam posts would probably get mine deleted. :(

I'm afraid however, that with the easydns.com support, once you enter this line:

set ddns-server easydns.com

the rest of the config is pre-configured and the "members.easydns.com" is not changeable, it's already in there.

You only get the options posted above when using the "GenericDDNS" option.

So is Zoneedit RFC 2136? Cheers

Willo

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
with generic dns ... does it not allow you to manually enter a server to contact?

thanks
sandy

Willo

Hi Sandy,

I think the short answer is no. There must be a number of pre-configured parameters if it's one of the supported DDNS services because according to the CLI guide when Generic DDNS is selected you can only add IP address of the DDNS server:

config system ddns
edit <name_str>
set ddnsid <integer>
set ddns-server {dyndns.org | dyns.net | ods.org | tzo.com | vavic.com | dipdns.net | now.net.cn | dhs.org | easydns.com | genericDDNS | FortiGuardDDNS}
set ddns-server-ip <ipv4-address>
set ddns-zone <string>
set ddns-ttl <integer>
set ddns-auth {disable | tsig}
set ddns-keyname <string>
set ddns-key <user>
set ddns-domain <string>
set ddns-username <string>
set ddns-sn <string>
set ddns-password <password>
set use-public-ip {disable | enable}
set bound-ip <ipv4-address>
config monitor-interface
edit <name_str>
set interface-name <string>
end
end

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
looks like it if there is no area where you can ad the name of a server to contact directly then its hard coded for the listed providers only.

thanks
sandy