Sub-domain with delegated nameservers/discrete zone file

gingermonkey

I've potentially got myself in a bit of a pickle. Long story short, I need to setup new DNS for a charity/NFP where they have a specific sub-domain that has to be delegated to different, third-party nameservers (the third party manages their CRM and has a discrete MX for the sub-domain etc. etc.).

Unfortunately I was not aware of the need for the sub-domain before transferring from their existing registrar/DNS host to a new, more convenient registrar.

Is it possible to achieve this configuration with Zone Edit? I must confess to not using Zone Edit for many years, but remember it being much more flexible than the average registrar panel, so I'm hoping we can resolve it here (ideally on the free account, as they're non-commercial, but paid if need be).

Ideally we'd keep the registration where it currently is put point the nameservers to ZoneEdit, and then use ZoneEdit to manage both the primary and sub-domain (but with the sub-domain potentially pointed at someone else's nameservers. If we have transfer the whole lot to ZoneEdit that can be done, too, though - or I can get the sub-domain zone settings from the third party and manage them here, keeping all the name serving in the Zone Edit family.

Any help appreciated.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
You should be able to use the domains NS link to set NS records for sub domains already on your zoneedit account... what is the domain name of concern?

gingermonkey

At the moment the domain is still over at 123 (having liaised with the people who manage the sub-domain) but it would be good to get an understanding of the facillity.

The primary domain would be pro-actionherts.org

The sub-domain with independent nameservers would be crm.pro-actionherts.org

I wasn't clear from looking at the domain control panel whether I can simply add a sub-domain as an independent zone by adding it as another domain, or whether I need to do something specific to ensure it all hangs together correctly?

(edited for unhelpful typo)

Last edited:

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
you can presently create NS records for sub domains and point them to another DNS provider..... is there a particular reason that you would want to use zoneedit for the sub domain and keep the sub domain as its own stand alone zone file??? as you can create the sub domains resource records in the zone of the parent.

gingermonkey

The only reason for wanting to point the sub-domain records NS records elsewhere was to mirror the configuration that we were picking up. The sub-domain is effectively wholly managed by a third party, and it was probable that they would want the flexibility of making changes directly, without waiting on us.

In the event it turns out that they don't actually need that much control, so two A records on the original domain has solved the problem!

However, it's very helpful to know that it's possible to recreate the original config using ZoneEdit if we need to - I'll have a play with a sacrificial domain to fully understand it just in case. Thank you for the help, I appreciate it.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
happy to help... If you would like me to add a sub domain to your account so you can have a test drive per se.. just let me know.