I've already tested by using a new Token and removed/added the record but it's not working. Seems to be something on our end. Unfortunately, I'll need to have an admin look at the logs for whats causing the problem as I don't have access to those.
If you need the record up, for now, I'd suggest just setting up an A Record until we have this figured out.
I think it may be an issue with Chrome. I set up a test DNS service and found I couldn't run the script with Chrome properly, but Firefox (the newest version) and Safari worked fine.
- I tried Chrome Incognito mode and regardless of that, it still doesn't work.
- I also noted that Safari has a security option "Fraudulent Sites:" that needs to be disabled for the script to work.