How to move DNS to another provider?

phantom99

Although this seems as though it would be easy, I am really struggling to sort this out, and I can't find any postings to match my scenario.
Any help is appreciated.

Unfortunately, ZoneEdit doesn't meet my requirements any more (sad face), and I need to move to another provider (Google Cloud DNS).
I have had (and still do have) NAME.COM as the registrar. (ZoneEdit has only being used as DynDNS service).

I have setup a new Zone in Google Cloud DNS - although I am not entirely convinced I have completed or done this correctly (and not looking for troubleshooting of that here).
Having said that....
Google Cloud DNS is asking to verify ownership of the domain, and I can't get it to work. I've put the Google provided text string in TXT record at both NAME.com and ZoneEdit but it still fails. So I suspect I haven't relinquished the DNS records properly. I don't actually know how I move the DNS service across, nor why ownership is failing.

Also, I have (4) nameserver records at my new Google Cloud AND ZoneEdit AND NAME.com pointing to Google Clouds servers ns-cloud-dX.googledomains.com (where X = 1-4)

My simplest question is: what is the process to move my DNS service from ZoneEdit to Google Cloud DNS and keep NAME.com as the registrar?

(P.S. This is not a mission-critical domain, so an outage is tolerable. I am anxious about doing something I can't recover from e.g. Blundering ownership/ access )

Last edited:

phantom99

Update: I was able to get Google Domain to verify ownership by returning the DNS entries at ZoneEdit and Name.com to the ZoneEdit nameservers.
Still wondering: What's the ZoneEdit process to move DNS from ZoneEdit to Google Cloud DNS whilst retaining name.com as the registrar.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there
If the domain is not registered with zoneedit then you would need to delegate the google nameservers at the domains registrar... what is the domain name of concern?

regards.

phantom99

hi there
If the domain is not registered with zoneedit then you would need to delegate the google nameservers at the domains registrar... what is the domain name of concern?

regards.
muirhq.net
I think I have Google cloud acting as NS now, but also have ZoneEdit pointing to Google Cloud NS as well.
I’m still lacking some confidence as GooCloud is very complex environment (when not familiar).
Is there anything else I need to do before “deleting” the ZoneEdit DNS settings/ account?
P.S. I appreciate your assistance for someone who is trying to leave.
P.P.S. Turns out Google Cloud doesn’t support DDNS, so ended up moving to Google domain (trialling my needs by purchasing a new domain to test it all out, before deciding what I end up doing).
Thank you

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
the NS records on the zoneedit zone file do not mean anything if zoneedit nameservers are not delegated at the domains registrar. so at present the DNS is only being provided by:
Name Server: ns-cloud-d1.googledomains.com
Name Server: ns-cloud-d3.googledomains.com
Name Server: ns-cloud-d2.googledomains.com
Name Server: ns-cloud-d4.googledomains.com

the Zoneedit zonefile is not public...