Domain Expired With Registra

cappilio

So i accidentally let one of my domains expire with the registra 123-reg.co.uk. it offically expired on 6/01/18 but i didn't notice any service impact until 3am on 11/01/2018

i quickly logged into the registra, and renewed my domain successfully. i noticed afterwards that as it expired they replaced my listed DNS servers with something like expired.123.co.uk. I assumed they did this as standard
so i switched them back too;

dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com
dns3.zoneedit.com

now nothing in my zoneedit account has changed, its in credit.
but im having issues getting to my websites.

mxtoolbox is now warning me of invalid SOA record, which i never use to get. im just wondering if i am missing something.

the domain in question is solid-global.com

i have been using zoneedit for 10years+ never an issue so at a guess its something to do with 123-reg but im scratching my head, can anyone help?!

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hi Cappilio,

Many registrars will change your nameservers when a domain is expired (usually after 4-5 days after it has expired).

When you renew, they should have automatically been restored to what they were before expiry but we can't speak for what another registrar may or may not do. Updating your nameservers back to ours is fine. However, you need to make sure you wait several hours for DNS Caches around the world to expire and forget that your domain was on those registrars expiry nameservers.

The next issue is a non-issue which is the SOA warning from MxToolBox. They expect that the primary nameserver listed there will be one of the nameservers your domain is using. This is not the case for Zoneedit as we use a hidden primary.

So as you mentioned, you're using dns1/dns2/dns3.zoneedit.com on your domain.

Your SOA is:
solid-global.com. 600 IN SOA dns0.zoneedit.com. zone.zoneedit.com. 1515680851 3600 600 604800 300

Because dns0.zoneedit.com is not a nameserver your domain is delegated to (nor should it be), mxtoolbox gives you that warning.

cappilio

Hi Cappilio,

Many registrars will change your nameservers when a domain is expired (usually after 4-5 days after it has expired).

When you renew, they should have automatically been restored to what they were before expiry but we can't speak for what another registrar may or may not do. Updating your nameservers back to ours is fine. However, you need to make sure you wait several hours for DNS Caches around the world to expire and forget that your domain was on those registrars expiry nameservers.

The next issue is a non-issue which is the SOA warning from MxToolBox. They expect that the primary nameserver listed there will be one of the nameservers your domain is using. This is not the case for Zoneedit as we use a hidden primary.

So as you mentioned, you're using dns1/dns2/dns3.zoneedit.com on your domain.

Your SOA is:
solid-global.com. 600 IN SOA dns0.zoneedit.com. zone.zoneedit.com. 1515680851 3600 600 604800 300

Because dns0.zoneedit.com is not a nameserver your domain is delegated to (nor should it be), mxtoolbox gives you that warning.

Thank you, I think k you are correct and I was being a little inpatient

To be honest I see the dns propergation pop up say up to 24 hours a million times but never seen it actually take longer than five minutes

I switched my dns to 8.8.8.8 and I can see all. My websites as I would expect

For some reason the standard dns my ISP use, 'opendns' take much longer

So IV basically been chasing my own tail all day.
IL have a break and check back in the morning

Appreciate the support, thank you