CNAME issue with a "trailing period"

thoomp

Quick question about CNAME and the DNS manager.

Zero issues with NS, MX, TXT, which is great.

However, a company I'm working with wants the CNAME name entered in as "autodiscover" and the CNAME value as "autodiscover.outlook.com" -- but the DNS manager complains to me that it's not a valid server name. So, I click on the yellow warning to override it -- but I think the DNS manager may be adding in a trailing period so the value entered in is incorrectly "autodiscover.outlook.com." Again, note the extra period at the end -- which I didn't add and don't want.

According to the company, Microsoft is validating it as correct but DNSChecker isn't even seeing it. Really appreciate any quick feedback as this is for a mail service cutover. Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance!

thoomp

Sorry -- Moved to ZoneEdit Help Forum -- I posted this in the wrong place.

Moderator/Admin - Please delete this thread. Thanks!

Chris Cherry

Mr. Happy To Help You.
Hello,

Enter the address as "autodiscover.outlook.com." CNAME records specifically need that period in the end.

If you don't enter a period, it will turn the record into "autodiscover.outlook.com.yourdomain.tld" - which is why the system was warning you.

Chris Cherry

Mr. Happy To Help You.
Another Admin managed to answer your other forum post before I did.

thoomp

Haha! Talk about speedy service!!! Particularly as a moderator on another and unrelated forum -- a huge thanks for your help. :)