Missing IPv6 PTR records

DaveB

Hi,

It looks like some PTR records for IPv6 addresses associated with your mail forwarder hosts are missing. A bounce back from gmail is below.

Interestingly, mailfwd1.zoneedit.com doesn't have any AAAA records associated with it, so I wonder if it is supposed to be sending over IPv6?

Apparently I can't attach the full NDR...

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

dave@xyz.org
Your message wasn't delivered due to a permission or security issue. It may have been rejected by a moderator, the address may only accept e-mail from certain senders, or another restriction may be preventing delivery.

The following organization rejected your message: gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: mailfwd1.zoneedit.com

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen a few of these today.

something must be up at Google as this makes no sense.... and we do have the PTR records in place:

host mx-caprica.zoneedit.com.
mx-caprica.zoneedit.com has address 166.88.18.34
mx-caprica.zoneedit.com has address 23.27.50.10
iMac - 09:28:21 - ~ > host 166.88.18.34
34.18.88.166.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer mailfwd2.zoneedit.com.
iMac - 09:28:33 - ~ > host 23.27.50.10
10.50.27.23.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer mailfwd1.zoneedit.com.

every now and then this error creeps up then without any explanation it stops...

thanks
sandy

DaveB

It is odd, as I've had a look through my emails, and discovered that I've had some received via mailfwd1.zoneedit.com without issue. Seems they are not being consistent.

Anyway, the PTR check is against the sending IP address, rather than the MX record of the domain. Seems I missed some pertinent information when trying to battle the spam detection on the forum!

"gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com #<gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com #5.7.1 smtp; 550-5.7.1 [2607:f358:15:5:ec4:7aff:fe0e:a00]

Our system has detected that this 550-5.7.1 message does not meet IPv6 sending guidelines regarding PTR records 550-5.7.1 and authentication.

Please review 550-5.7.1 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=IPv6AuthError for more information 550 5.7.1 . l64si8898562qkf.101 - gsmtp> #SMTP#"

host -t aaaa mx-caprica.zoneedit.com
mx-caprica.zoneedit.com has no AAAA record

host 2607:f358:15:5:ec4:7aff:fe0e:a00
Host 0.0.a.0.e.0.e.f.f.f.a.7.4.c.e.0.5.0.0.0.5.1.0.0.8.5.3.f.7.0.6.2.ip6.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
IPv6 is not a requirement... that is to say
mx-caprica does not yet have an IPv6 address and as such does
not have an IPv6 PTR record... so why it is being looked for or causing an error is a bit of a mystery

sandy

DaveB

Except the server that is forwarding the email on DOES have an IPv6 address, and is using it. From the NDR:

2607:f358:15:5:ec4:7aff:fe0e:a00

telnet 2607:f358:15:5:ec4:7aff:fe0e:a00 25
Trying 2607:f358:15:5:ec4:7aff:fe0e:a00...
Connected to 2607:f358:15:5:ec4:7aff:fe0e:a00.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx-caprica.zoneedit.com ESMTP spoken here (mx-caprica-ZE1).

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
ahhh something new from a recent update... this should be fixed presently.

thanks
sandy

DaveB

Looks like I'm still occasionally receiving mail from mailfwd1 on its IPv6 address.

Any ideas how long this will take to resolve?

Regards,
Dave

DaveB

Yup. Still getting reports of bounces, and occasionally one gets through that are delivered from an IPv6 address.

I was getting this on Thursday (Sept 29th). Tested after I saw the post above on Friday "should be fixed up now..." and it seemed fine, getting it again today (Monday).

Note: aprox. 1 in 5 to 1 in 3 emails gets through

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hmmm Can you please send in the domain name and a new set of bounced headers... thanks and sorry for the inconvenience
sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
fix is in the works... Please let me know if you receive any more of these,

thanks
sandy

DaveB

I've got a new issue now! Mail doesn't arrive at all from this server, and there is no bounce back.

I just sent about 10 emails to myself, and there were a few missing. Only ones received were from mailfwd2.zoneedit.com.

DaveB

And now they have arrived!

Delivered from the IPv4 address, so hopefully won't have this issue again.

Thanks!
Dave