Mail forwarding suddenly stopped working

Melbfella

Howdy all,

I've been using ZoneEdit for many years and it's worked perfectly, until now.

All of a sudden (Since Thursday afternoon), none of my mail forwards are working.

I notice the MX record for my domain is set to 'LOCAL', but it's so long since I set it up, I can't recall whether that value is correct or not.

Can anyone help out here? If there's more info I can provide, please shout out.

My apologies for the sketchy information, I'm a programmer, not a network engineer, so this stuff is all a bit of mystery to me.

Thanks in advance :)

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hello Melbfella,

LOCAL as a primary MX record in our system is expected for mailmap forwarding configuration. That is a placeholder that, if you query your domain, would lead to mx-caprica.zoneedit.com.

However, there are a few reasons why your forwarding may have stopped working. Such as the domain registration is expired or a change in the nameservers that are delegated to your domain. I would need to know the domain in question to help further.

Melbfella

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your fast reply. The domain's registration is not expired.

The domain is dode.com.au, registered with Crazy Domains - it reports the name servers as ns8.zoneedit.com (139.162.141.192) and ns17.zoneedit.com (80.240.130.119).

Is that the info you need?

Regards,

Doug.

PS It's worth noting my other domain on ZoneEdit (dodeonline.com) is having the same issue.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Yes, all looks well. DNS is responding to queries and reporting back what is expected.

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;dode.com.au. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
dode.com.au. 3600 IN MX 0 mx-caprica.zoneedit.com.

However, I see that many of your mailmaps forward to another domain you have with us. Those then use mailmaps to forward to an external address.

So, my next question would be to ask you for more detailed information, but I think it's best to discuss that through DM.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
I was composing one at the time you were asking. If you ever want to DM anyone, you can mouse over their avatar in the left portion of the post and an option to "start conversation" will appear.

Acid Test John

Is the mail service down? I've tried sending email message to myself haven't seen anything. :I can't tell if Caprica is blacklisted by ISP iinet.net.au, or if Zone EDit's mail server is down.

I have also problems with mails that come from Microsoft addresses (outlook.com and office365). It looks like they aren't delivered to me. I have this issue with all 3 domains that I'm using mailmappings for at Zoneedit. Other mail has a big delay.

Acid Test John

Thanks. I talked with iiNet this afternoon Melbourne time. They were suggesting something about SPF records not being "honoured" which doesn't make sense to me, given that emails worked for age before this.

El.

Administrator
Staff member
Hi. The issue has to do with our mail servers being blocked by receiving mail servers. We have again corrected the issue for the affected users and this should now be working for you.