Dynamic DNS Troubleshooting

Brian Richards

Hello,

I recently watched the short video for setting up and using Dynamic DNS with the Javascript Dynamic DNS Client for ZoneEdit. It seemed very straight forward. To test, I entered my username, auth token and a home subdomain, set wildcard to no and one-time update. When I click Start updater, it doesn't update and I get no error or response.

I've tried creating the request manually and other clients with no success. I thought it may be on my end but when I tried the checkip url, it returns my wan ip. So, now I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Brian

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Please reply with the domain name of concern and I will see what I can do.

thanks
sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Can you please send in a screen grab of the client set up you are trying to use.

thanks
sandy

Brian Richards

Thanks for looking into this Sandy! In this screenshot I get a permissions error but most of the time I get no response at all. It also fails when I use the www or the home prefix (like in the video) along with the update wildcard set to NO

Brian

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-4_12-36-43.png
    upload_2016-2-4_12-36-43.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 8

sproskin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Brian.

I just want to be sure, you are using your dynamic authentication token (At the bottom of the "Edit Dynamic Records" page) and not your Zoneedit account password, correct?

Brian Richards

Yes I am. I should have mentioned that. I actually reset it once after getting permission errors but I still can't get it to work.

Brian

sproskin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi again Brian.

This should have been solved last week, let me check a few things here to make sure it isn't an unrelated problem.

Tom Brazier

I, too, am having trouble with updating my dynamic DNS record. I am using ddclient on Linux and I get the following error: "NOSERVICE: Dynamic DNS is not turned on for this domain."

ddclient used to work (or so I believed when I set it up - logs have long since been rotated out of existence). My domain is firstsolo.net and the name I am attempting to update is ganymede.firstsolo.net. I am using the DYN Authentication Token for my domain.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
the current IP for that host record... was it entered manually?

if so please let me know all the parameters you have used and entered in the ddns client

thanks
sandy

Tom Brazier

Yes, the current IP address was manually entered.

The client is ddclient, with the following parameters:

daemon=300 # check every 300 seconds
syslog=yes # log update msgs to syslog
mail=root # mail all msgs to root
mail-failure=root # mail failed update msgs to root
ssl=yes # use ssl-support. Works with ssl-library

use=web # get IP address via web

server=api.cp.easydns.com, \
protocol=easydns, \
login=<my user name>, \
password=<my authentication token> \
ganymede.firstsolo.net