Dynamic DNS not updating zone file on name servers

Gimli

For the past few months, whenever I change IP address my dynamic client (pfSense) updates ZoneEdit successfully but the modified zone file never makes it to the ZoneEdit nameservers unless I load it manually.

We had a thread going where multiple people reported the same error and Sandy was going to escalate the issue but the thread has now disappeared.

http://forum.zoneedit.com/index.php?threads/dns-not-pointing-to-correct-dynamic-ip-address.70/unread

I changed IP today and it's still happening. My domain is gim.li

Please don't write this issue off, we need help to get the zone files to publish when a dynamic client updates them.

Pierre

I posted my problems on that thread too and now it's disappeared. But the spam posts are still in the forum!:eek:

Please restore it and have these issues solved.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Can you create a host record for smtp.gim.li as it is used as a zone for mail and as such requires a host record. The zone is failing to be loaded properly.

thanks
sandy

Gimli

Created a dynamic record for smtp.gim.li as I had forgotten to but the zone still doesn't load automatically. It loads just fine if I do it manually.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Can you please change the delegated nameservers to :
dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com
at the domains registrar as well as within the ns records on the zone file at zoneedit.

thanks
sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
you have ns1 and ns2... i was suggesting dns1.zoneedit.com and dns2.zoneedit.com.

How has it been working on the ns servers though?

sandy.

Gimli

I'm sorry about that, that'll teach me to pay closer attention!

Haven't had a change of IP since the last change but I'll change to DNS1 and 2 and try to provoke a change of IP.

Gimli

Alright, dns1 and dns2 didn't fare any better but there is one thing I noticed when I went to change the address manually and reload the zone; the settings that were there uploaded by the pfSense dynamic client had a TTL of zero for each dynamic entry and I had to set it to 60 before I could manually save the file. This could certainly cause the automatically updated zone to fail loading if the server won't accept a TTL of zero.

Now I looked into the pfSense client configuration and there doesn't seem to be a way to update the TTL. I'm not sure whether TTL is one of the info that gets sent by the client or if it's the same for all dynamic clients but this may be where the issue comes from.

Gimli

I looked through the dynamic client update scripts for pfSense and the zoneedit script doesn't seem to be passing a TTL value with the updated IP. Should it? Is there any documentation available on how to format proper dynamic update requests to the zoneedit servers other than https://support.zoneedit.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/4/0/changes-to-dynamic-dns, which is really thin? Something that would list all available options, etc?

Specifically that article talks about the "legacy" dynamic DNS url but I can't find what would have replaced it. Does ZoneEdit support RFC2136 dynamic DNS?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
TTL should not be included in a dynamic update and you should set the dynamic records ttl to a minimum of 600 seconds.. or ten minutes to avoid the Too Soon error that is the usual result.

thanks
sandy

Gimli

Addresses updated through dynamic process still show up with 0 sec TTL and the zone still fails to load until TTL is modified manually.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
I see you have delegated to another DSNS provider... sorry about that.

I am curious as to where the 60 second TTL is coming from on your DDNS records... it needs to be a minimum of 600 seconds...

thanks
sandy

Gimli

Yeah unfortunately at this point my uptime has to take the front seat.

I looked through the code that sends the update request and there doesn't seem to be an option of TTL to be passed with the request so I must assume that the o TTL that I see when I log on after a failed update comes from your servers. Since the actual API isn't documented it's not possible for me to see whether it's even possible to pass a TTL option along with the update. Either way it appears that the o TTL is why the updated fails to load, which would make sense.

Louis Rossouw

I'm getting the same issue on my side. Using ddclient. My ip changes but my address doesn't change. I login in to zoneedit and the displayed ip is correct, but my nslookup is wrong. I change the ip to something else and change it back manually and that works almost immediately.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
is the TTL for the dynamic records above 600 seconds? if not can you change that to be a minimum of 600 seconds.

sandy