Cleaning up after deleting a domain

amccoy4

I recently removed a domain from zoneedit. Unfortunately I failed to remove the corresponding server delegations, even though I removed the NS records. So after the deletion, even though the domain was not listed in my control panel, when it was queried, zoneedit servers were still responding with information that I had previously associated with the domain. I have now removed the erroneous delegations, so I expect the problems I was seeing will go away. My question for zoneedit is, how to I remove this phantom information from the servers, so that it can never be returned? thanks.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
zoneedit nameservers hold default information for any domain name regardless if it is delegated to zoneedit... but as zoneedit nameservers and not authoritative nor can they be used as Resolvers.. this zone data will never be publicly queried.

sandy

amccoy4

It's not default information that is being served but my old, out of date data. This came about because unfortunately I left in place a delegation to the zoneedit servers after I deleted my data. So they happily served back my out of date data when queried, even though it was no longer visible from my account. I would have hoped that clearing the zone from my account would clear my old zone data from being served. As I said above I've now removed the delegation to ze servers and my zone is working as I want; my question is how to clear the crap from zone edits servers? The only way I can think to do it at the moment is to reinstate the domain in my account, perhaps the delegation, update the ZE zone data with something harmless and then remove it & the delegation. Seems like the long way around to me...