A record and PTR no longer match and is required by registrar

CharlesM

isnic.is, the domain registry for Iceland requires that the DNS on record for a domain have the A lookup and PTR records resolve cyclically. About 3 weeks ago, they scanned and the DNS no longer references as expected and as configured in the past. They will suspend the domain if this is not resolved.

Thank you for your assistance, Charles McKinnis

"""
The following errors are registered when ISNIC attempts
to check the zone for domain mckinn.is:

Test results for "NS12.ZONEEDIT.COM":
The nameserver ns12.zoneedit.com is not consistently registered in DNS (ns12.zoneedit.com => 162.220.33.236 => t1.zoneedit.com)
The nameserver ns16.zoneedit.com is not consistently registered in DNS (ns16.zoneedit.com => 104.236.6.173 => pdns1.zoneedit.com)
Test results for "NS16.ZONEEDIT.COM":
"""

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
We had to move these IPs because of a DDoS attack. It's kind of ridiculous that .IS scans this and makes a stink when things change. If anything all they should care about are that the nameservers are still authoritative for the zone.

Does anybody have any idea how one goes about modifying these records with them?

In your case you can change your delegation to ns10.zoneeedit.com and ns14.zoneedit.com

CharlesM

And then they said...

Test results for "NS10.ZONEEDIT.COM":
Time To Live (TTL) for the NS records must be 86400 seconds (24 hours) or longer (Is now 7200 sec)
Test results for "NS14.ZONEEDIT.COM":
Time To Live (TTL) for the NS records must be 86400 seconds (24 hours) or longer (Is now 7200 sec)

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
WHAT? Omg. This is getting ridiculous. Are they going to leave your domain delegated or is this endangering that?

CharlesM

They will cease to delegate if their guidelines are not met. Until about 3 weeks ago, it was working without a problem for a couple of years. I understand the frustration, unfortunately I can't move to another registrar.

Charles

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
How did they refresh their data when we moved everything from the legacy system over to ours?

Anway, I've updated the TTL on ns10 and ns14 to 86400

do you have a contact we can communicate with over there? you can send it to my inbox

CharlesM

I realized after re-reading that the second part of their demand was the NS record on the domain itself, not the DNS server. I fixed the TTL on the NS records and they are happy again.

Thank you for your help, Charles

CharlesM

Hey Mark, our posts crossed in the ether. Thank you for your help. I appeased them after re-reading the request. (The PTR I couldn't have fixed, and I appreciate your help with it too)

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
Oh, awesome, that means I can take out those TTLs on ns10 and ns14, thanks for letting me know.

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry about that, we flipped ns2's IP during a DDoS attack. Most registries aren't as militant about this sort of thing.
I've just flipped it back so this should work again soon.

Golli

Hi, where can I change the TTL on the NS records myself? I can't seem to find it when I'm logged in to the ZoneEdit control panel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Golli

In your preferences there is an option to enable individual TTLs

Advanced TTL Control

https://cp.zoneedit.com/manage/users/prefs/

Once you enable that you should be good to go

Thanks Mark for the superfast reply :) I already got it up and running now!

I still have one question though, now I'm trying to forward emails from my domain to gmail. I'm using ZoneEdit's local mail server and I've already set the mailmaps but still my emails get lost. Before I set up the DNS I always got "Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently" when sending emails to my domain addresses, but now the emails I send to my domain email adresses just seem to get lost. Do you have any idea what I might need to configure differently?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

Well, seems like I'm a little bit too impatient, when I tried to send from another address (not the address I was forwarding to) everything seems to be working fine right now and I got the emails I sent to my domain address.

That leads me to my hopefully last question. Is it possible to send from my gmail and make it look like it was sent from my domain email address?

According to gmail this is what I need to do :

1. Enter the SMTP server (e.g. smtp.domain.com), your username on that domain, and your password for that account. You may also need to adjust your port setting or SSL setting (talk to your other ISP if you need this information).
What values should I put for these fields?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
I think what gmail wants to do there is use your *outbound* smtp server, which we don't do yet although that is coming very soon.

Usually you do what you want in the "identity settings" of your email client (i.e. thunderbird or postbox)

Drew Degentesh

Sorry about that, we flipped ns2's IP during a DDoS attack. Most registries aren't as militant about this sort of thing.
I've just flipped it back so this should work again soon.

Mark,

I'm getting this same error from ISNIC:

Test results for "NS2.ZONEEDIT.COM":
The nameserver ns2.zoneedit.com is not consistently registered in DNS (ns2.zoneedit.com => 162.220.35.30 => t2.zoneedit.com)
Test results for "NS17.ZONEEDIT.COM":
Can I be moved to different NSes? :) Domain: thinking.is

Thanks

Golli

Hi Mark,

Just a few days ago I got an email from isnic stating this here, the same as above.

Test results for "DNS1.ZONEEDIT.COM":
The nameserver dns2.zoneedit.com is not consistently registered in DNS (dns2.zoneedit.com => 162.220.35.30 => t2.zoneedit.com)
Test results for "DNS2.ZONEEDIT.COM":

Would it help to move my domain to another dns? domains is blondal.is

Thanks in advance!