no response from dynamic.zoneedit.com

pcarnegie

Hi

In the past couple of days (Sept 29) updating zoneedit dynamic dns has been failing consistently with "no response from dynamic.zoneedit.com" messages from my ddclient daemon - non ZONEEDIT dynamic DNS updates continue to work corectly - or by my router (BT Home Hub 5).

I can manually update the IP addresses using the ZONEEDIT control panel at https://cp.zoneedit.com/login.php.

The domain of interest is carnegie-dixon.com

Has something changed, eg update protocol ?

Many Thanks

Peter

pcarnegie

Hi Chris

I forced an update to see what response was from dynamic.zoneedir.com, and here's the DDCLIENT log file

INFO: forcing updating 30ct.carnegie-dixon.com because no cached entry exists.

INFO: forcing updating carnegie-dixon.com because no cached entry exists.

INFO: forcing updating mail.carnegie-dixon.com because no cached entry exists.

INFO: forcing updating no30.carnegie-dixon.com because no cached entry exists.

INFO: forcing updating www.carnegie-dixon.com because no cached entry exists.

INFO: setting IP address to 86.190.210.5 for 30ct.carnegie-dixon.com,carnegie-dixon.com,mail.carnegie-dixon.com,no30.carnegie-dixon.com,www.carnegie-dixon.com

UPDATE: updating 30ct.carnegie-dixon.com,carnegie-dixon.com,mail.carnegie-dixon.com,no30.carnegie-dixon.com,www.carnegie-dixon.com

CONNECT: dynamic.zoneedit.com

CONNECTED: using HTTP

SENDING: GET /auth/dynamic.html?host=30ct.carnegie-dixon.com,carnegie-dixon.com,mail.carnegie-dixon.com,no30.carnegie-dixon.com,www.carnegie-dixon.com&dnsto=86.190.210.5 HTTP/1.0

SENDING: Host: dynamic.zoneedit.com

SENDING: Authorization: Basic UENhcm5lZ2llOmV1aDY2d3owbjNkMXQ=

SENDING: User-Agent: ddclient/3.8.3

SENDING: Connection: close

SENDING:

RECEIVE: HTTP/1.1 200 OK

RECEIVE: Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 19:19:31 GMT

RECEIVE: Server: Apache

RECEIVE: Vary: Accept-Encoding

RECEIVE: Content-Length: 196

RECEIVE: Connection: close

RECEIVE: Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

RECEIVE:

RECEIVE: <ERROR CODE="702" PARAM="600" TEXT="Minimum 600 seconds between requests" ZONE="30ct.carnegie-dixon.com,carnegie-dixon.com,mail.carnegie-dixon.com,no30.carnegie-dixon.com,www.carnegie-dixon.com">

FAILED: updating 30ct.carnegie-dixon.com: 702: Minimum 600 seconds between requests

FAILED: updating carnegie-dixon.com,mail.carnegie-dixon.com,no30.carnegie-dixon.com,www.carnegie-dixon.com: no response from dynamic.zoneedit.com

It does look like dynamic.zoneedit.com is online, but the response being handed back is not thye same as previously sent back to ddclient.conf, or that which the BT Home Hub 5 has been expecting all these years.

Hope this might help diagnose the issue more quickly

Peter

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hi Peter,

There is a 10-minute interval required between updates. If you continuously submit updates less than 10 minutes apart, it will keep resetting your timer, and you'll have difficulty getting updates to stick.

Is there any way to configure the client to use HTTPS instead of HTTP? Try again after you do that (and wait 10+ minutes between updates!)

pcarnegie

Hi Chris

I'm not sure what's happened, but it all seems to be working now :) hope it stays fixed !!!!!

Thanks for/to whatever/whoever fixed the problem :) and your very speed responses.

Have updated ddclient to update period of 10mins (600 secs)

Thank you

Peter

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Awesome! Thanks for confirming that it's working and for your patience while we sorted it out.