How To Update Your Nameservers To Utilize Multiple POPs

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
This thread is for the process we've commenced to notify all users (this mostly affects free DNS domains) who have both of their nameservers for a given domain located within the same datacenter.

Starting today we will be sending out notices that look like this:

Dear Zoneedit User,

After our acquisition of Zoneedit we deployed our new nameservers into four main
datacenters worldwide: New York City, Miami, San Jose and Zurich.

We have determined that your domain example.com has both nameservers located in the
same datacenter.

To gain maximum resiliency in the case of a data center outage it is desirable that
the nameservers for your domain be in two different datacenters.

As such we are strongly recommending that you take the following steps:

1. Replace one of your current nameservers with:
ns11.zoneedit.com. (136.0.0.134)

2. Make a change with your Registrar or domain Registry to reflect this change.

3. Finally, log into your Zoneedit control panel (https://cp.zoneedit.com) and
edit your NS records reflect this change. To edit your NS records, manage your domain
and click on "NS" under the "DNS Settings" tab:

https://cp.zoneedit.com/manage/domains/ns/edit.php

We have posted step by step instructions about how to do this in the Support Zone:

Unfortunately we cannot make this change for you as in most cases we are NOT the Registrar for example.com
As we mention in the email, you should undertake this in 3 steps (we can't do this for you since in most cases we are not your Registrar*).

After you update your nameserver delegation with your Registrar, log into the Zoneedit control panel, manage your domain and then update the NS records:

ZE_ns_0.png

Once in the NS record editor, remove the same nameserver you replaced with your Registrar and add the new one assigned to you in the email you received:

ZE_ns_1.png

You do this by clicking on "edit" in the NS module. Then:

ZE_ns_2.png

Replace the same nameserver you dropped from the Registry with the new nameserver you've been assigned in your email:

ZE_ns_3.png

Once you confirm the change you are done and your nameservers are now deployed across multiple datacenters, affording you a lot more resiliency and redundancy.

(* Remember that you can now move your Registrar over to Zoneedit, and we're doing a limited time promo where we're bundling free whois privacy with domain registrations and transfers for the first 5000 domains. Just click on the "Switch Registrar" link beside your domain name or under the Domain Overview tab.)

JNewton13

This does NOT work if you have "Show Advanced DNS Records" set to "No" in your Preferences. Since "No" is apparently the default, I think you may have a bunch of confused users.

JNewton13

Second, there seems to be some confusion between zonedit and easydns. My understanding is that you two worked together. All my domains are registered either with zoneedit or easydns. I'm getting this email for the domains that are registered with easydns saying that "zoneedit isn't the registrar so they can't do this for you". Seems like they should be able too... if easydns and zoneedit are the same company now. No???

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
This does NOT work if you have "Show Advanced DNS Records" set to "No" in your Preferences. Since "No" is apparently the default, I think you may have a bunch of confused users.

Right, excellent point. We've just enabled visibility for those records across the entire zoneedit platform.

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
Second, there seems to be some confusion between zonedit and easydns. My understanding is that you two worked together. All my domains are registered either with zoneedit or easydns. I'm getting this email for the domains that are registered with easydns saying that "zoneedit isn't the registrar so they can't do this for you". Seems like they should be able too... if easydns and zoneedit are the same company now. No???

When we took over zoneedit there were so few domains using easyDNS as their registrar that we're making the assumption that in most cases it's a third party registrar. True, Zoneedit can be your registrar as well, but that just started recently. The update has been great but the vast majority of domains are in ccTLDs where we're not a registrar, or using other registrars.

Sorry about the confusion.

(that said, if easyDNS is your registrar, you have to update the nameserver delegation from the easydns side, and the NS records from the zoneedit side, sorry about that)

Last edited:

Wesley Klein

Can you please provide assistance. In an email I received it specified that I should change one of my Name Servers to ns14.zoneedit.com. (23.27.48.61). When I went to change it with my domain register (Crazy domains), it automatically assigned the ip address 209.126.137.108 to ns14.zoneedit.com,. When I rang Crazy domains they said they are picking up the IP address automatically, and to have zoneedit confirm that you have assigned the correct IPaddress to ns14.zoneedit.com. Can you please check the settings at your end or suggest how to fix the issue I am having

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
That's an old IP from before we took over. What's your domain name? (PM me if you don't want to post it or just reply here) - it may be ok, they have the wrong IP but the right one is in the roots, depends on the TLD

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
Can you try it again now? Try adding it, even if it shows the wrong IP on your end.

Ross Orr

Similar problem to above, I have been unable to "Replace one of your current nameservers with: ns5.zoneedit.com. (23.27.48.59)"
Crazy domains automatically assigns ns5.zoneedit.com to 50.22.254.144
What should I do here?

Wesley Klein

Hi Mark, I have set up the name servers as they should be but it still has the wrong ip address see screen shot from crazy domains below.

Will it work as is, or will it just default to using ns4 only. (the changes may not have had time to propagate yet)

upload_2015-4-15_8-42-44.png

jazar

How can I see where the nameservers are located? On the domain that I got the email about, I have three nameservers. How do I know where they are? Do I just randomly pick one and change it? I may still end up with two in the same location. Also, I have other domains with multiple, sometimes four nameservers, I want to be able to pick the name servers based on location to make sure I am picking multiple locations. Where is the location information?

Ross Orr

Similar problem to above, I have been unable to "Replace one of your current nameservers with: ns5.zoneedit.com. (23.27.48.59)"
Crazy domains automatically assigns ns5.zoneedit.com to 50.22.254.144
What should I do here?
Crazy domains has updated ns5.zoneedit.com now default to 23.27.48.59
Sorted.

Rob Cook

Since receiving the email a few days ago and following the directions, I am now receiving SOA serial number errors when doing a DNS check. (SOA serial agreement fails)
I too would be interested in a listing of the servers by Geographic location, and starting this process over.

Bernard

I can't see a Switch Registrar link to transfer my domains to ZoneEdit / EasyDNS.

I've updated nameservers, but one of my domains is up for renewal, so I thought I might centralise. For each domain, I see that they are Active and Free DNS, and I have a dns and a manage link, but no switch registrar link.