Help with dynamic dns before buying.

AgustinGM

I understand that if I want to use Dynamic DNS feature, I will need 1 credit per month. But it does not include a domain so I should buy one. How can I see which is the cheapest? Also, what are the prices for ? One month ? One year ?

I must say that my currency is -- currently -- 40:1 with the US Dollar. 35 ounces in tomatoes (roughly, 1 kg) is worth u$d 0,77. Since I don't care what the domain name says (as long as it's nothing offensive, of course)...

1. I require to know what would be the cheapest alternative I have.

2. Is there a limitation in the number of subdomains I can create and update to? like.. host1.domain.root is updated with one dynamic IP address. host2.domain.root is updated by another dynamic IP address.... and so on.

3. I saw the DDNS configuration video tutorial, and I saw the Java client is allowed to update every 5 minutes. This value is good enough for me (10 minutes would also be acceptable). Is there a limitation on the amount of updates and/or queries ? I require a few of my devices (with dynamic IP addresses) to check on each others real IP addresses (using DDNS queries) as often as possible (every 5 to 10 minutes is OK).

4. I'm almost sure of this one but just in case: I will be using a plain HTTP request as update clients since I will be doing this from cisco IOS boxes. I see zoneedit got lots of new ways to update but I understand that the old ones still work. Auth tokens seems golden for my case.

Please solve the many problems you have. If you're an administrator please contact me. I have lot's of screenshots with page bugs and my FULL post that won't allow me to post.

Thanks in advance,
Agustin

Attachments

• screenshot.3151.jpg
    screenshot.3151.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 2
  • screenshot.3154.jpg
    screenshot.3154.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2
  • screenshot.3152.jpg
    screenshot.3152.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 2
  • screenshot.3150.jpg
    screenshot.3150.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 2

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there
Dynamic DNS is also available as free if you have a domain registered elsewhere... but as you mention you need your own we have .com available at $16.00 per domain per year. Paid accounts also have access to our support ticketing system :) for dynamically updating many hosts to different IP addresses you would need to stagger the update frequencies on the updaters so we do not receive an update while processing a zone reload from another Dyn update. the minimum TTL for Dyn records is actually 600 seconds ( ten minutes). for page errors.. .. more frequent then 600 seconds will result in a TOO SOON error. no real hard cap for zone files per se size wise...... Once you have an account and access to our ticketing system any error reports would be appreciated.
thanks

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
oh... domain registrations include DNS with two nameservers available for delegation so monthly credits are not needed.

thanks

AgustinGM

Thanks Sandy Neal,
I'll make an account since it's free and I will check if there are cheaper domains available. I'm run some numbers and see what's better for my case.
Regards,
Agustin