Add TXT or CNAME to the DNS configuration for Google Workspace (my own domain)

johannas

Hi,
"SPF prevents spammers from sending unauthorized messages that appear to be from your domain. Set up SPF by publishing an SPF record at your domain. The SPF record for your domain should reference all email senders for your domain. If third-party senders aren't included in your SPF record, messages from these senders are more likely to be marked as spam."
I have my own domain hosted by Google Workspace. It is for my family, and we have e-mail addresses, but no website. Since the new SPF requirements, I need to change my DNS TXT record to the one by Google Workspace. Alternatively, I can change the DNS CNAME record.
I have gone to "manage" my domain settings, changed my "DNS Record" to the required by Google, and the outcome was: "We were unable to connect to your DNS server." Google offered an option to change my CNAME, which I also did from under CNAME. Again, the response was: "We were unable to connect to your DNS server."
What should I be doing if changing the DNS TXT or DNS CNAME was not successful through managing my Zoneedit domain?
All ideas are welcome! I need to solve this as at least one of the e-mail addresses ends up in spam or doesn't even get delivered. No spam has ever been sent from my family's e-mail account.
Hopeful that someone can help me here!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 6.30.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 6.30.23 PM.png
    209.1 KB · Views: 2

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there,
please reply with the domain name of concern and ill be happy to have a look.

regards.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again

for the SPF record..its created as a txt record. Use @ as the host and txt shouold be:

If you only send email from Google Workspace, enter this SPF record:

v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ~all

i hope this helps.

johannas

Hello again Sandy,
I am too much of a novice in domain management, hence I am unable to decipher your "cryptic" message. I did find my SPF record. I can see that when I added @ to the text verbiage under DNS Settings. When I try to Verify my domain under Google's Postmaster Tools, it still says "We were unable to connect to your DNS server."
My TXT looks like this now (XXXX's are to conceal the part of it):

@google-site-verification=uCwysJedPSHyCTx5MOWqfYdKkh8XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
i can see that record is live:

dig @ns4.zoneedit.com txt seppalainen.com

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> @ns4.zoneedit.com txt seppalainen.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 7495
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;seppalainen.com. IN TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
seppalainen.com. 7200 IN TXT "@google-site-verification=uCwysJedPSHyCTx5MOWqfYdKkh8Fxxxxxxxxx7K44"

;; Query time: 99 msec

I added a bunch if X's as well .

is the required txt record supposed to be for the root domain of seppalainen.com or perhaps it needs toi be a particulat sub domain?

for outbound are you only sending through google mail servers?

regards

johannas

Sandy, Thanks for helping me!
Outbound mail? If I understand you correctly, I use the Google mail servers to receive and send. My family members just log into the mail server on Google.
(Google was not able to verify yet, it might take some hours I guess, so I need patience.)
Cheers!
Johanna

johannas

Hello again Sandy,
Tried at 11:31 am on 5/10/2023 EDT
"Your DNS TXT verification record was not found. You might need to wait a few minutes before Google sees your changes to the TXT records. Please try again."
Thus, no. I am not sure what needs to be done for it to be verified.
Best,
Johanna

johannas

1. Add the TXT to the DNS configuration for www.seppalainen.com

TXT record:

2. Click Verify
When Google finds the DNS record that you have added, we will verify your ownership of the domain. To stay verified, do not remove the DNS record, even after the verification succeeds. (DNS changes may take some time and if we do not find the record immediately, we will check for it periodically.)
Having trouble? Try Adding a CNAME record as an alternate option.
Note: On successful verification, your account will also have access to the domain's data on Google Search Console.

This is a direct copy and paste. Now modified to remove the TXT record.

Last edited:

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
ok you added the txt record for the root domain not the www record. I have add that now Please try to verify and lest see if it works now.

regards.

johannas

It just verified! Thank You Sandy! You have been so helpful. You solved a mystery that I was not able to solve on my own. Very grateful!

wp.rauchholz

Hello support team, I am trying to achieve the same.
But when I enter the www record under TXT I get this error message:
www.wo-lar.com is already set up as a CNAME record, so you can not set any other records for it.

How should i add the verificaiton code in this case?

Thanks for your help in advance

Wolfgang

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there.

The host should be the @ sign and not www. please give that a try.

regards