ZoneEdit Free Dynamic DNS and SSL Certificates

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
Other than a correction I commented on about how to access Free DNS, this is a great tutorial:

http://johnalvarez.net/?p=3011

"Like most others with residential internet service, I have a dynamic IP address. This means that the IP address changes from time to time. This makes it difficult to locate a home network from somewhere else via the internet. Many people use a dynamic DNS service to overcome this issue. Dynamic DNS service provides a domain name like foo.dyn-dns.com. You then must have a program on your computer or setting in your router that notifies this service when your IP address changes. This keeps the dynamic domain name (foo.dyn-dns.com) in contact with the IP address for your home network.

The issue with many dynamic DNS services is that you must use a self-signed SSL certificate for a secure connection (as far as I know). This means you will receive warnings from web browsers each time you connect. These warnings can minimized by trusting the certificate and this may be fine for some people. I wanted to avoid the untrusted, self-signed certificate issue because I have people access my systems from time to time. I do not want to explain the warning from the web browser and how to proceed."