Why I switched from ZoneEdit to BuddyNS [Total outage]

David Boicourt

Thursday, May 28: Suddenly, without warning, the ZoneEdit DNS secondaries I have used since 2006 just ceased working. Clients attempting to use our website hit those secondaries and got no response, so to them, it was equivalent to an outage.

ns7, ns8, ns12, ns13 at least.

Tests with numerous DNS lookup tools (MXToolbox, DNSstuff, DNSToolbox, UltraTools) confirmed this. So I removed the ZoneEdit secondaries from my primary SOA entry, which fixed it for the time being.

Then I cast about and found that BuddyNS has an excellent, responsive interface, secondaries all over the world, and the ability to perform zone transfers on the fly. So I set up with them.

I'll be moving all my domains away from ZoneEdit.

Unacceptable.

David Boicourt

opus-solutions.com and regsvc.com were the two most important ones. I also moved several others.

I noticed that several IPs had changed, but updating them did not help. The web control panel indicated that we should use dns1.zonedit.com and dns2.zoneedit.com, which I did but I could not effect a zone transfer from those servers. So since I was scrambling, I just removed all secondaries altogether.

Not sure what you mean by the ACL for your system. I got an email from you on November 5, but it only concerned billing for paid services.

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
This was what you needed: https://support.zoneedit.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/12/1/new-secondary-dns-acl

We sent it out a few times to all secondary DNS users.

Although on this end it seems the issue is we're getting an error when we try to transfer it:

$:/usr/local/bind-dlz# dig +short -t axfr opus-solutions.com @67.106.3.42
; Transfer failed.

host says NXDOMAIN

$:/usr/local/bind-dlz# dig +short -t axfr regsvc.com @67.106.3.42
; Transfer failed.