URL forwarding provided by Zoneedit

wedefelt

Hi,

I have recently moved my domains from Zoneedits nameservers to another one. I used the free service for my 4 domains and on two of these I had some URL forwarders configured. Some of these pointed to the domain it was part of but others pointed to an external domain.

I have set up the same configuration at my new host and the URL forwarders that point to the domain it is part of works but the other ones that point to the external domain gives the following message:

Error Processing Request
The domain you are attempting to access uses URL forwarding provided by Zoneedit.
An error has occurred and we cannot URL forward this request. This may be a temporary error. Please try again later.

Today it has passed 7 days since the move so I am leaning towards that this will get resolved...soon, right?

But at the new host I set up a new URL forwarder, that hasn't previously existed nor configured at Zoneedit for one of the domains that had/have URL forwarders and pointed this to the same external domain. I still got the above error.

On one of the domains, that hadn't had any URL forwarders configured at all previously when at Zoneedit. I added a new URL forwarder and pointed it to an external domain, not the same as in the above example, and this worked. I have since then added a new URL forwarder and pointed this to the same external domain used above in the other domain to see what happens but that also gave the above error..

Is there anything I can do besides wait?

TIA and by the way, Thanks for all the years of service! Very much appreciated!

Last edited:

El.

Administrator
Staff member
Hello. Are these domain names still on a ZoneEdit account? What are the domain names?

wedefelt

No, the domains are not at Zoneedit any more.
See attached file for examples.

I couldn't post the information in the text file. It gave the following error: Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

Attachments

• examples.txt
    723 bytes · Views: 4

El.

Administrator
Staff member
This is forwarding to a host name which is forwarding to another host name. We'll need to take a deeper look at what's occurring.

El.

Administrator
Staff member
Can you URL forward directly to the destination host instead of the host that is URL forwarding to the destination host? This will eliminate an unnecessary forward.

wedefelt

I have tested this and it kind of works.
When you access the URL, shis.org, that I want to forward to, you get a user and password prompt. Shis.org forwards to https://shis.webblogg.se/. If you don't enter userid/password you will end up at a access denied page.

The URL forward is set to shis.webblogg.se. and now the URL forward takes me there but I end up at a page that says, the page can not be found.

I have read some things here at the forum about issues when doing URL Forward to https sites. Can that also be a factor?

wedefelt

Hi,

olle.wedefelt.nu was URL forwarded to shis.org.

shis.org itself is URL forwarded to shis.weblogg.se

Olle.wedefelt.nu is now URL forwarded to shis.weblogg.se and gives page can not be found.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
wedefelt.nu is set as inactive on your zoneedit account you can activate it via the Manage link, Domain Settings tab.

regards.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
it is if you want the zoneedit zone file to be live... You would need to Activate them to use them with zoneedit providing the DNS.

regards

wedefelt

Thanks, but that is not the idea. I have left Zoneedit, thanks for all the years btw! I have really appreciated it.
The issue is that the URL forwarders, don't work and I obtain the above error message. Why do I receive the above error message after moving from Zoneedit and reconfigured the URL forwarders at my new host?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
I am not seeing any error message.. please let me know the exact URL you are visiting that still displays the error.

regards.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
can you please delete wedefelt.se from your zoneedit members page for now.

regards

wedefelt

Now I don't get the error but nothing happens.

If i ping, Anton.wedefelt.se I get this: PING 64.68.202.11 (64.68.202.11) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from 64.68.202.11: icmp_seq=1 ttl=33 time=19.2 ms

If I ping, Anderz.wedefelt.se, It resolves to: PING 195.74.38.69 (195.74.38.69) 56(84) bytes of data.

When adding a new, has never existed before, URL forwarder to the same URL as anton.wedefelt.se, titti.wedefelt.se. I get the same result when pinging it.

Am I doing something wrong, if so, what?

Last edited:

wedefelt

Just ckeched with the person who manages the domain shis.org, about the nameserver that domain uses, and It uses the Zoneedit name servers. Could this explain something?

wedefelt

I might have found the reason why I have this behaviour. I have created CNAME records for these URLs, which might be the reason for what is happening. I am currently testing a web forward to see if that, probably, will work better.....