Time Between DDNS Updates?

Adrian Stephens

What are the exact rules for minimum time between updates? I am updating both @ and * records for 3 domains attached to the same zoneedit user. Do I have to wait between every single updates (i.e., 5 x 600 seconds total), or can I do all the the domain updates for @ and then the three domain updates for * with a 600 second gap between?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
each update shoud come 600 secondsa apart.. this is to avoid receiving a dyn update while the zone is reloading on a current dyn update

sandy

Adrian Stephens

Hello Sandy,
I'm sorry but I don't see how this answers my question. You say "while the zone is reloading". I don't know what a zone is in this context. Is there a single global zone across all users (seems unlikely)? Does a zone equate to a domain or fully-qualified domain name? Does it equate to a zoneedit user?

If the zone equates to user, then I have to delay between each operation, regardless of to which domain.
If the zone equates to domain, then I can quickly do updates to domains A, B, C, do a single delay, then quickly do updates to *.A, *.B, *.C.
That equates to my best guess to what a zone means, but it doesn't appear to work that way.

Sorry for the petering questions.
Adrian.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hi Adrian,

The "Zone" in this case is per FQDN as you mentioned. Each domain has a "Zone File" which contains all your DNS records and is loaded across all our nameserver nodes. Depending on your service it could be 15-20 nodes spread across the world.

When you make a Dynamic Record update it must load that new "Zone file" across all DNS Nodes (servers). There are many of them for redundancy and having a short break between changes ensures all nodes are up-to-date with the current zone before you change it again.

Hope that helps.