Switch from Secondary to Primary

Christopher Lewis

I've got the free zone edit DNS set up as a secondary DNS. Is there a way for me to switch to having ZoneEdit be primary so I can shut down my DNS?

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hello Christopher,

You can switch to Primary and use Zoneedit but you would first want to copy the zone information that we have cached so you can import it into our Zone again after you've removed the Primary NS setting.

- When you're managing your domain, click the "DNS Settings" tab and on the Secondary Information line, select "Cache".
- Copy/paste that information into a plain text file and save it to something like: myzoneinfo.txt

- Then, go back to the DNS Settings tab and this time click the "primary NS" link.
- Select "Edit" on the next page and look for the Checkbox which says "Delete Primary NS Settings". Check the box and click Next to remove the Secondary service.

- Get back to the Domain Administration page and look for the tab called "Tools".
- Click the "Import" link on the Zone File Management line.
- Click the link on the next page which says "SKIP HOSTWALK - go straight to zonefile upload".
- Click the Choose File button and find the saved .txt file with your zone info.
- Click the Upload button

It should ignore any SOA information in the zone and replace it with ours. If all goes well, it should tell you it's done. If it gives you any errors, let me know.

To check if the zone imported correctly, click the "DNS Settings" link in the left-hand menu to see what our system has for zone info. Once you confirmed that everything looks good, you'll want to log into your GoDaddy control panel and update the nameservers to remove yours (if that's what you intend to do).