SiteLock?

Lithorien

Good evening.

Recently I received an email from a company called "SiteLock" that stated that I had purchased a service through them via an unspecified partner. (Literally, the email said, "Thank you for purchasing SiteLock through our partner .") When I contacted SiteLock to find out what was going on and why I was signed up for a service - and my name, email address, and apparently phone number was provided to them - all I was told is that it was via my hosting provider. Well, given that I self-host, the only other source that could have provided that information was ZoneEdit.

My question then is this: Was I signed up for this "service" through ZoneEdit, and if so, why was my personally identifying information given out to a third party company without my knowledge or consent? In addition, if I was signed up through ZoneEdit, how do I go about having the SiteLock account closed and my PII removed from their servers?

Thank you,
Steven Merrick, lithorien.net

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
We don't sell sitelock via Zoneedit (we do on easyDNS) - but there is no way it would have happened without your knowledge because it costs us money to provision a sitelock, and we don't do that until we collect the payment from you.

In other words, it didn't come from here.

Lithorien

Who was your registrar before you moved it to us? I wonder if there was some auto-billing setup over there that did it.

I used Dotster, though I would have to wonder why they would have set up an account for a domain that was moved months ago...

Ah, well. I'll chalk it up to random poorly-designed spam and move on. Thank you for your prompt response! I appreciate it.