Simple Private Name Server Setup

Tom Peditto

Searched everywhere but cannot locate where/how to set up private nameservers.

Current setup:

domain registration: registrar (godaddy) (hostnames added, ns1.mydomain.com, ns2.mydomain.com)

mydomain.com ns records at registrar (godaddy): ns8.zoneedit.com and ns13.zoneedit.com

nameserver on zoneedit ns1.mydomain.com points to ns273.otherhostingcompany.com and ns2.mydomain.com points to ns274.otherhostingcompany.com

when validating ns records at pingdom i get fatal errors for domain, but a check on website loads fine, email is fatal error. Where/how do i properly set up private nameservers on a domain managed at zoneedit??

thank you.

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
My brain nearly imploded reading that.
Short answer: to create vanity nameserver records under your own domain you have to have nameserver entities / records setup via the registrar of your parent domain - so it sounds like Godaddy.

Caveat: Always be careful with vanity nameserver records. Because we have no awareness of third party vanity DNS records, if we have to suddenly renumber our nameserver IPs (like during a DDoS) those will break. If you don't have a really compelling reason to use vanity DNS, I wouldn't.

Tom Peditto

wonderful. Go Daddy says that the vanity nameservers are setup where the zone is managed ie zoneedit.com and ZoneEdit says it needs to be set up via regsitrar (Go Daddy), which by the way was already set up under hostnames setting in ns records (which failed).

No wonder why i couldnt find it in the FAQ, it doesnt appear anyone has an idea how to instruct on what should be a straightforward process.

I think I'm going to switch back to the generic NS and chalk this exercise up as a wasted endeavor.

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
It's possible there's some confusion, it is true that you'd have to create the actual hostname records for your vanity nameservers under your zone, here on zoneedit. BUT, before nameservers can actually be used as "nameservers" they have to be registered with the various registries, they need a "host entity" entry before they can delegate domains to it, and that happens via the registrar of the parent domain of the nameservers.

Tom Peditto

so then where do you create your vanity hostname records on zone edit? Is it under the normal zone management alongside A and MX records or does it have to be set up within the NS Records section below the existing DNS records (in this case ns8.zoneedit.com and ns13.zoneedit.com).

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
The user interface for managing glue records is close but not quite ready, so in the meantime you can manage those via opening a support ticket. But we have to be your registrar for the domain before we can do it.

Tom Peditto

They key here was using the term "vanity" nameservers. I've gone back to the registrar, and now see it is necessary to purchase Premium DNS service at $36/year to enable setup of vanity NS records. The original support rep with registrar must not have understood what i was trying to accomplish or did not realize I had to upgrade to enable the service. In the end as it is not my core offering, I will probably just use the hostgator supplied NS records and forego the Vanity NS. Or I guess i could transfer the domain

Mark Jeftovic (#fb)

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a compelling reason to require vanity nameservers?
They don't actually accomplish much unto themselves except for very narrow use cases (say you're implementing your own anycast deployment)