Setting Up Dynamic DNS For Your Domain

BigV

hi there

did you manually enter the IP that is listed in the dyn records now? are all the dyn records going to point to the same IP?

sandy
I have made no entries at this stage I assume that I need to create all the zones and entries (www,mx,sub-domains etc) and that zoneedit becomes master. Then point to the zoneedit DNS servers on my domain setup (godaddy, crazy domains). Which are? Do I then suspend all secondary DNS services as well?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
at present there is a dynmaic record on your zoneedit members page pointing to an IP?
can you please check that against your current IP.

the nameservers to delegate when you are ready are
dns1.zoneedit.com.
dns2.zoneedit.com.

what are you using for secondary? or do yo mean all nameserver delegated in a domains whos record... any nameserver listed in a domains whois record is considered a primary nameserver,.

thanks
sandy

BigV

at present there is a dynmaic record on your zoneedit members page pointing to an IP?
can you please check that against your current IP.

the nameservers to delegate when you are ready are
dns1.zoneedit.com.
dns2.zoneedit.com.

what are you using for secondary? or do yo mean all nameserver delegated in a domains whos record... any nameserver listed in a domains whois record is considered a primary nameserver,.

thanks
sandy
I'm using my own name servers as primary and secondary buddydns.

At the moment, the IP address reflected on my profile is my current static IP address.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
for... At the moment, the IP address reflected on my profile is my current static IP address.

and this was not done manually correct?

as well are the other dyn records to point to the same IP?

sandy

BigV

for... At the moment, the IP address reflected on my profile is my current static IP address.

and this was not done manually correct?

as well are the other dyn records to point to the same IP?

sandy
For the domain currently in my profile, yes. This was applied at the time of creating my username and profile.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
uggg sorry BigV. I think I have mistaken this thread with another.

what ddns software are you using? and the domain name just to be sure.

thanks
sandy

BigV

uggg sorry BigV. I think I have mistaken this thread with another.

what ddns software are you using? and the domain name just to be sure.

thanks
sandy
I'm not using any dDNS s/w at this stage. Still in the investigation/testing/review stage.
I'm running my own router/gateway/firewall which is ClearOS Linux distribution.

My domain name is dandydingo.com

I run postfix front end which then check for spam/av and parses to exchange server, all non-commercial.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
for free dns the nameservers to delegate are:
dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com

sandy

BigV

for free dns the nameservers to delegate are:
dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com

sandy
So, just to confirm. I replicate all my DNS entries for my domain in zoneedit. Delegate DNS at my domain registrar to zoneedit DNS servers and turn off DNS on my server for said domain?

Does zoneedit provide secondary mx?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
correct... only once you have set the zone file on your zoneedit members page would you contact the registrar and delegate zoneedit nameservers.

sandy

BigV

Final question. My modem does the login and connection. I can route all traffic to the Linux interface by pointing my dmz to the IP address of the Linux box.

How do I determine the IP address of my internet connection to parse to zoneedit?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
back up MX is not included in the free dns zones. It is a 1 credit per month add on service.
Once the back up MX is purchased via the add ons link help is available here:
https://support.zoneedit.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/15/4/configure-back-up-mail

your modem should have config built in for dynamic DNS. I wold suggest you check that first to make sure it is not hard coded for specific
DNS provider that does not include zomnedits before doing anything else.

sandy

Cliff Berman

I can’t get the Java client to update your DDNS server.

We just purchased from zoneedit the domain medicalinvestigationsgroup.com and setup ddns on remote.medicalinvestigationsgroup.com.

Interestingly, I can ping medicalinvestigationsgroup.com and remote.medicalinvestigationsgroup.com and they both reply with different IPs that aren’t Dave’s or mine. I’m assuming they are yours.

Can you please help!

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Cliff,

You'll see the following IP's:
medicalinvestigationsgroup.com. 596 IN A 104.236.61.208 (this is our Park Page server)

remote.medicalinvestigationsgroup.com. 600 IN A 198.199.92.59 (this is a Voodoo Ip meaning the hostname doesn't exist in our system).

The remote.medicalinvestigationsgroup.com. DYN record is offline which means the Java Client isn't configured properly.

If you haven't already, please check the following video for DYN set up:
https://support.zoneedit.com/Knowle.../video-setting-up-dynamic-dns-for-your-domain

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
When you click "Start updater" what is the response you get in the window below?

Cliff Berman

Client Status says ON and then switched to OFF and I get nothing in the Last Response - just as you see it in the image. I'm using Chrome.