Setting Up Dynamic DNS For Your Domain

Dick Rempfer

I would like to know if one of the the dynamic dns updaters can simultaneously update multiple records.

For example, I have one domain, say mydomain.xxx, and under that I also have records for mail.mydomain.xxx, ftp.mydomain.xxx and www.mydomain.xxx. In addition I have a second domain, mydomain.yyy with a similar set of subordinate records.

All of the preceding share the same IP address. Do I have to run multiple instances -- that would be eight instances -- of a DNS updater client to individually update each domain & its associated subdomains? If so, that would make things VERY messy. I would like to update all with a single instance of one of the client utilities if at all possible.

Thanks,
Dick

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there

as they are going to the same IP I would suggest updating the root domain with the host as the @ sign and a wildcard record with the host as the * sign.. if you only update individual host records then there is a chance that an update is missed if we receive it while we are reloading the zone from the current dyn update we had just received.

thanks

rberber

as they are going to the same IP I would suggest updating the root domain with the host as the @ sign and a wildcard record with the host as the * sign.. if you only update individual host records then there is a chance that an update is missed if we receive it while we are reloading the zone from the current dyn update we had just received.

I have the same situation, and your answer doesn't work, or I misunderstood something.

In my domain's "Edit Dynamic Records" page I have 2 hosts, the first as "@", 2nd as "*" (both w/o the quotes of course), and updating the address today didn't change both, only the first.

Question: is the update supposed to use "@" instead of the domain name (or a host name -- same thing in my case)?

I'm also opening a new thread about supporting tools for dynamic update. I use ddclient, which works fine, but doesn't seem to have support for wild records, and mx records. On the other hands ez-ipudate (which ZoneEdit recomends for Linux) seems to have support for those, but doesn't allow to have the wan ip on the router, so its useless unless you build a patched version (I did found 2).

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there

for .... Question: is the update supposed to use "@" instead of the domain name (or a host name -- same thing in my case)?

the @ denotes the root domain of domain.com

so you could only dyn update the root domain with the @ sign and then create a Cname where www.domain.com points to domain.com

ddclient does support wildcard updates: wildcard = yes

rberber

so you could only dyn update the root domain with the @ sign and then create a Cname where [snip] points to [snip]

ddclient does support wildcard updates: wildcard = yes

That use of root is not that same as wildcard updating, which was the underlying point, but my question was if I can use "@" instead of the domain, and your answer seems to indicate that I can; but then how do the update affect the relevant domain? i.e. I could have more than one.

I know ddclient has the wildcard option... In theory, I already have that option in my ddclient configuration, but in practice it didn't work.

As far as I can see in ddclient's code, some DNS services do support this option, perhaps the code used with ZoneEdit is not updated to include support (and I don't see it documented anywhere in ZoneEdit to correct the code myself). Both ddclient and ez-ipupdate suffer from bit rot (they haven't been maintained in a long time).

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
i am having a bit of a hard time understanding:

but my question was if I can use "@" instead of the domain, and your answer seems to indicate that I can; but then how do the update affect the relevant domain? i.e. I could have more than one

if by more then one do you mean multiple host records on the same domain that you want to update dynamically?

what is the domain name of concern?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
ok :) what is the domain of concern and which ddns client are you currently running?

rberber

The domain is irrelevant, this is a generic question.

The ddns client is the one I have mentioned, ddclient. I also tested the one recommended in the help pages, ez-ipupdate, which is useless.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
with the domain name we will be able to look at any connection logs we have available and this will help diagnose the problem.. as well as to check the zone file on your zoneedit account for any other errors that might inhibit the dyn updates going through properly

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
both ddclient and ezipupdate support wildcard updates...

and for behind a router I believe the line to add is ip= 1.1.1.1 this way we update the IP sending 1.1.1.1 and get the public and not the private IP

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
this is a pid domain.. as such you an use the get support link on the left side bar of your members page to use ticketing support :) and not the public forum if you like :)

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
for the ddclient logs we see the updates for the root domain but not a wildcard reference do you have :

wildcard=YES

in your config file?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hmm its not getting through...
can you please login to your zoneedit account and click the Get support link and send in a ticket with a full copy of the config you are using.

thanks
sandy

rberber

Sure, will do... but as I said, I doubt ddclient really supports wildcard with Zoneedit.

And about ez-ipudate and the ip=1.1.1.1 option, I don't see such option in the configuration file, it can be added as a parameter but that way seems useless since ez-ipupdate (and ddclient) should detect the change in IP.

Of course I can write a script, or use something else to detect the change in IP, and then use ez-ipupdate to send the change (with the actual IP).

Taste

I seem to have a different problem. I have a few FQD's with Dynamic DNS working fine. However, if I try to add an extra one it does not seem to work. First of all when I select the Dyn menu all TLL's are set to 0 which it does not accept when I press next. If I set them all to e.g, 1800, I can add a host select next en see the list of the updated host. However, if I click done, and check again nothing is changed. I can also not delete hosts.
The domain is: smaak.tk

update: After I added the host as an 'A' record and removed it again it did work. My TTL's are not set to '0' anymore and I can add hosts.

Last edited: