Random Authentication Failed

weirdcheung

Hi Zoneedit,

I use my account weirdcheung and the correct DYN auth code to update my DynDNS entries.
sometimes, it works. but in most cases, its just failed with error message: Authentication Failed.
May i know the reason behind? and how to fix it? thanks!

Regards,
Wayne

El.

Administrator
Staff member
Hello. The TTL for the dynamic records was set to 0 seconds. This is not recommended. The TTL has been updated to 600 seconds. Wait at least 2 hours before attempting to make a dynamic DNS update request.

weirdcheung

Hello. The TTL for the dynamic records was set to 0 seconds. This is not recommended. The TTL has been updated to 600 seconds. Wait at least 2 hours before attempting to make a dynamic DNS update request.
Hi EI.! thx a lot for your great support and helped to update the TTL. but the error still exists. could you kindly help to do another check? thanks a lot!

weirdcheung

Hello. Our logs indicate dynamic update requests are coming from two separate clients. The one on a Linux server using wget is failing due to an incorrect password. Please review the user name and password set up, and that the request format is: https://*user*:*token*@dynamic.zoneedit.com/auth/dynamic.html?host=*your_hostname*&dnsto=*your_ip*
Thanks a lot EI.!
You are right. One client was a openwrt based router and it updates home.MYDOMAIN. It works like a charm as always.
And another client was a synology NAS, the zoneedit support is from the the synology’s official stock image. It updates wayds918.MYDOMAIN I cannot know the exact URL it uses. It just fails randomly and sometimes it works. Anyway, the token is definitely correct because i copy/paste it as always. And it succeeds sometimes.
But anyway, when i try to create a new customized DDNS option with the URL you provided, it shows a loading status for quite long time with no return code.
So, just to further check if you have any new findings from above info. Thanks a lot!

sproskin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello.

Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot or text of your Synology configuration? You can omit any personally identifiable settings, as they aren't relevant and I'm sure they aren't the cause of your issue. I'm just trying to track down this issue, as our logs only show a login failure and nothing else. It's an odd issue.

Also, what is the software version of your Synology device?

weirdcheung

Hello.

Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot or text of your Synology configuration? You can omit any personally identifiable settings, as they aren't relevant and I'm sure they aren't the cause of your issue. I'm just trying to track down this issue, as our logs only show a login failure and nothing else. It's an odd issue.

Also, what is the software version of your Synology device?

Hi sproskin,
I attached the standard setting. I don’t think there are issues and it just randomly fail:(
Thanks a lot for your following up:)

Regards,
Wayne7673607B-1FF6-43F9-AE14-EAF82D749BC0.jpeg

weirdcheung

Sorry the picture was in Chinese. Let me translate it
Input 1: provider
Input 2: hostname
Input 3: username/email - i use zoneedit username here
Input 4: password/key - i use token here

sproskin

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, it's very strange. Our logs only indicate an HTTP code 401 - Unauthorized.

The only reasons for this would be an incorrect username / token, however from what I can see in the screenshot, I can assume you've entered this correctly.

Are you copying the token directly, or typing it in?

weirdcheung

The only reasons for this would be an incorrect username / token, however from what I can see in the screenshot, I can assume you've entered this correctly.

i copy it directly and I tried a lot times. Delete and recreate again. Did you have a chance to check the url difference in between openwrt and synopogy? Or should I regenerate the token?

weirdcheung

FYI. it works like a charm after i regenerated the token:)
So, i guess there might be some issues related to previously generated token, or some issues related.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Thank you for the update, and an interesting fix. I'll pass along the news as some of the support crew that was helping you along are not in today.