MX Backup - Questions...

catfood

I have several domains managed viz ZoneEdit. My personal primary domain (catfud.com) has MX backup enabled, and an MX record for LOCAL set with a higher priority number than my regular server.

Last week I was off on vacation, and of course, Murphy strikes. My trusty old mail server system board fried, and it will likely take a week to get a replacement. I thought, "Good thing I put MX Backup on that domain..." I've tried to see how long MX Backup will hold spooled mail, but I cannot find that information anywhere. So I've three questions:

1) Is inbound mail for catfud.com actually being stored? (My wife is very nervous about this.)
2) How long will be stored? (Is that time period extendable for a fee?)
3) is there a way to check how much mail is coming in or see what's there?

Thank you!

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
HI there

there are currently stored messages waiting for your primary to come back on line. Each message is stored for 5 days and sorry, that cannot be adjusted on individual domains as it is a global setting. I do not have access to see the size of the stored queue.. sorry about that.

regards

catfood

Thank you for the information - I couldn't find that information anywhere.

Oh, dear - so anything over 5 days gets an NDR? Oy. The wife will have a fit.

Can you recommend a 3rd party store and forward service I can engage for when I have to withstand longer outages?

Thanks!

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again

sorry.... we do not have any recommendations available... NDR after 5 days would be the norm...

regards.