IPv6 and IPv4 subdomain?

Tobias

Hi

(Should) it be possible to point a subdomain to an IPv6 and an IPv4 address simultaneously? I've managed to get the dyn DNS working for both IPv6 and IPv4, but it will randomly update the subdomain with either the IPv4 or the IPv6 IP address. Any ideas?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi Tobias.

what is the domain name of concern..

and do you man to have a single dynamic host updated to both IP4 and IPv6 addresses?

thanks
sandy

Tobias

Right now I had to use tobiaswallin.se for IPv4 and ipv6.tobiaswallin.se for IPv6, since I didn't manage to make tobiaswallin.se to point to both IPv6 and IPv4. I'm not sure I understand your question, but the dynamic update of both the IPv4 and IPv6 adress is done by my router which is a FritzBox 7490. The router will first make an update for the IPv4 address, and then an update for the IPv6 address. Maybe the second update will erase the first?

As a separate note, the ZoneEdit web interface won't allow a dynamic IPv6 address to be updated manually on "DNS Settings/Streamlined Editor" page. When pressing the "next" button the data entered is refused.

Last edited:

Tobias

Any ideas how I can make a dynamic update to make a subdomain point to both an IPv4 and IPv6 address?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Tobias.

Ok... lets try this two DYN calls seems to be the only way to do this... for the same host..... one for the ipv4 and another for the ipv6

please let men know how it goes.
sandy