How To Update Your Nameservers To Utilize Multiple POPs

tdbaker1956

Was there an answer to the CrazyDomains registrar (one of the major Australian Registrars) auto detecting a different IP address from the one in the email. In my case ns7.zoneedit.com translates to 206.128.153.19 - not 162.220.33.236. Will this still work or have I effectively ended up with just one functioning name server? An IP Lookup indicates ns7.zoneedit.com as the host for 206.128.153.19

tdbaker1956

Was there an answer to the CrazyDomains registrar (one of the major Australian Registrars) auto detecting a different IP address from the one in the email. In my case ns7.zoneedit.com translates to 206.128.153.19 - not 162.220.33.236. Will this still work or have I effectively ended up with just one functioning name server? An IP Lookup indicates ns7.zoneedit.com as the host for 206.128.153.19
UPDATE - I phoned the CrazyDomains Help Desk and they manually updated the ns7.zoneedit.com IP Address to 162.220.33.236 - which fixes my issue but doesn't explain why their servers are getting the wrong IP address automatically.
Judging by the ease this was done and lack of questions and "not our problems" - it wasn't the first request along these lines.

Last edited:

gashy

Hi I have the same issue with ns17.zoneedit.com supposed to be according to your email 136.0.0.133 and my registrar resolves it to 209.126.159.118. My registrar is Austdomains. Will this get resolved?

tdbaker1956

Hi I have the same issue with ns17.zoneedit.com supposed to be according to your email 136.0.0.133 and my registrar resolves it to 209.126.159.118. My registrar is Austdomains. Will this get resolved?

CrazyDomains and AustDomains are part of the same group. Phone their Help line 1300 420 420 and get them to manually update the NS record IP Address. My testing indicated the automatically allocated IP address wont work.

gashy

CrazyDomains and AustDomains are part of the same group. Phone their Help line 1300 420 420 and get them to manually update the NS record IP Address. My testing indicated the automatically allocated IP address wont work.

Thanks I will give this a try. I would have thought though that these registrars are resolving the address dynamically as well and thus should be getting the correct address provided by zoneedit. Its always a pain having to ring support lines and go through a big explaination process.

zoneuser

Although I'm okay with computer use, my IT level is about 2 out of 10, and I worry I might screw things up.

I understand how to make the change on the ZoneEdit site but my registart DNS management requires me to enter either primary or seconday nameserver. There is no indication on the ZoneEdit page as to which of the two entries is which.

Also should I enter the server name (as advised) or an ip address (I see people on this thread have had IP address problems)?

Finally, my domain is co.uk -- not included in Sandy's list. What should I do?

If I do make any changes, how can I test that everything works fine? By definition if the only way of knowing I've broken something is that my email stops arriving, I'll never know!

Also, do I really need to make the change at all? Everything's worked perfectly fine for the 7 years I've been with ZoneEdit. Is there really any risk of keeping both servers in one geographical location?

Any and all advice (please remember you're talking to an IT chimp) would be greatly welcome.

Thanks

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Aay nameserver delegated in a domain names whois record would be considered a primary nameserver so there is no worry in which order the nameservers are entered.
making this change is not required but is recommended.

thanks
sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
here you go;

ns18.zoneedit.com - Miami
ns14.zoneedit.com - Miami
ns9.zoneedit.com - Miami
ns5.zoneedit.com - Miami
dns1.zoneedit.com - Miami
ns11.zoneedit.com - Zurich