How to configure reverse dns for mailserver on domain ?

fuzioneer

I have a domain setup in zoneedit and want to add a reverse dns entry for my mailserver.

I have enabled advanced dns records display in my preferences but then cannot seem to figure out exactly how to add the entry ?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
HI there

PTR records are actually created at the organization that provides you with your IP addresses and/or net block information.
Please contact that organization and ask them if they will provide that service. If not .. ask if they would allow a third party DNS company like zoneedit
to provide the reverse services. If they do, let me know and then we can proceed with adding the net block to your account. Reverse zones are charged at 1 credit per month
and are not available for use as a free DNS slot.

thanks
sandy

Fish

Hi Sandy,

is this still the same now. because i have same problem with this person.

Looking forward for your reply.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Fish

what is the domain name of concern and can you please be specific with what help I can provide.

thanks
sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again

it would still be the same answer:

PTR records are actually created at the organization that provides you with your IP addresses and/or net block information.
Please contact that organization and ask them if they will provide that service. If not .. ask if they would allow a third party DNS company like zoneedit
to provide the reverse services. If they do, let me know and then we can proceed with adding the net block to your account. Reverse zones are charged at 1 credit per month
and are not available for use as a free DNS slot.

and the MX record for your domain... the mail server should be listed as the host name you want to use for a mail server, not its IP address.

sandy

ALain

Bonjour.

I would be interrested about that.

- I have a old free DNS slot, how is it possible to pass to a slot allowing the PTR records ?

- The IP provider would to do or update something inside his system to make it works if I setup some PTR records inside my ZoneEdit slot ?

Thanks.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hello Alain,

"Reverse zones are charged at 1 credit per month and are not available for use as a free DNS slot."

You would need to check with your ISP to see if they allow a 3rd Party like Zoneedit to have the Reverse delegated to us. If they say yes, you can set up the Reverse Net Block via the "Add a Domain" link in the left-hand menu of your Zoneedit Control panel (in the "add a reverse net block" section).

Last edited:

leandrosf

Hi to all.

I need to ask how to I should do to create a PTR in zone edit, because i have the problem what my domains is a Freedns, for this reason not possible add to PTR to domain.

What should do? Change the domains FREE DNS to ... ? (for this solution: how to should do?) Or asked ISP if is possible manage the ptr for that site?

i know what this threads is old but I entered with Google search.

Sorry for that.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hello,

Please read here for more information on Reverse DNS: https://support.zoneedit.com/en/knowledgebase/article/reverse-dns

All info provided in a previous post by Sandy is still relevant:

- PTR records are actually created at the organization (ISP) that provides you with your IP addresses and/or net block information.
- Please contact that organization and ask them if they will provide that service. If not .. ask if they would allow a third party DNS company like Zoneedit to provide the reverse services. Reverse zones are charged at 1 credit per month and are not available for use as a free DNS slot.

leandrosf

I need your help again hehe.
I told my ISP, and he told me which domain he delegated to us. However, I explain a bit how to make the unit now:

I have an ip block for a physical interface, everything is managed by Fortinet. ok, in ZoneEdit I created the reverse DNS with only one ip (that ip is where I posted my mail server, and in the reverse dns I declare that public ip.

For example I have this ip segment
this first ip is my provider 192.168.0.1
* I used an ip for the mail server

then create a reverse dns in the edit zone like this:

192.168.0.5/32 but when I go to dns configuration - reverse DNS I try to get information ... but I don't see anything after this text:

"They will also need to configure the following CNAME records to map each IP in the network block to the ARPA proxy address in our system:"

anyway I created a ptr record with the public IP and added the host: xxxxxx.something.com

I do not know if you understand. The thing is, I keep getting spam emails.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
192.168.0.1 is a default gateway block for routers... never a public IP space... just in case :)
The entire net block must be delegated to zoneedit nameservers from a /32 to a /24 What is your zoneedit user ID so i can check into your current settings.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again.. first off, yours is a paid account so please use the Get Support link on your mrmbers page.

secondly:
211.211.233.57.190.in-addr.arpa is delegated to

233.57.190.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN NS ns1.gigared.com.
233.57.190.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN NS ns2.gigared.com.

In order for your upstream provider to properly delegate the reverse netblock to our system, they will need to set up the following NS records to show that our name servers are authoritative for the ARPA delegation address:

211.233.57.190.in-addr.arpa IN NS dns1.zoneedit.com.
211.233.57.190.in-addr.arpa IN NS dns2.zoneedit.com.
211.233.57.190.in-addr.arpa IN NS dns3.zoneedit.com.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
you have to do this at which ever company you use to receive the IP addresses from... Generally your ISP or Telco,.

regards.

leandrosf

you have to do this at which ever company you use to receive the IP addresses from... Generally your ISP or Telco,.

regards.
My provider says he's all delegated to us. I don't know if this is done from my zone edit or not. Sorry.

Or do I just have to ask the provider to add this?
211.233.57.190.in-addr.arpa IN NS dns1.zoneedit.com.
211.233.57.190.in-addr.arpa IN NS dns2.zoneedit.com.
211.233.57.190.in-addr.arpa IN NS dns3.zoneedit.com.