Gmail blocks my email messages

chickadee

I use ZoneEdit for DNS hosting for the domain foo.net. When I send email messages to a Gmail address, Gmail discards (does not deliver) my email messages that have the return address <abc@foo.net>. Gmail apparently thinks that messages with that return address are spam and apparently requires DKIM on those email messages for it to deliver the messages.

Can ZoneEdit add the proper DKIM (and SPF) information to my email messages with the return address abc@foo.net? That is, can ZoneEdit show that I have the authority to send messages with that return address?

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
I would recommend looking up what information is required for the SPF and DKIM record via Google. You can then add the proper DKIM / SPF record as per whatever Gmail instructs. The SPF/DKIM record will be put into the TXT Record section in your Zoneedit DNS Settings page.

chickadee

Thank you for replying, Chris.

I want to send emails with the return address abc@foo.net not just to Gmail, but also to other email services that require a DKIM record. Frankly, I am stumped. Therefore, if anyone in this forum could tell me the proper DKIM record I should put into the TXT Record section on my ZoneEdit settings page, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

chickadee

Chris, thank you again for your help.

DKIM is beyond my ken. Thus I have decided to set up only an SPF record. I am confused about what I should put into the HOST field of the SPF record. Would you please tell me "exactly" what should go in that field. I will then copy and paste it. I believe I know what should go into the other fields.

Thank you.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
You would put the @ symbol in the host field which represents the root domain (in your case the root domain is foo.net)

Host: @
TEXT: v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ~all

chickadee

Chris, I have been trying to set up the DKIM record for foo.net. I have failed.

I will be sending messages with the return address abc@foo.net only from FastMail, and I need to set up a DKIM record for foo.net. The following is what FastMail says:

"To support DKIM signing, FastMail uses three CNAME records, allowing us to sign emails using the DKIM selectors "fm1", "fm2" and "fm3". The records are in the form (with {mydomain.com} replaced by your domain name):

Type................ Selector............................................. Value
CNAME..... fm1._domainkey............ fm1.{mydomain.com}.dkim.fmhosted.com
CNAME..... fm2._domainkey............ fm2.{mydomain.com}.dkim.fmhosted.com
CNAME..... fm3._domainkey.............fm3.{mydomain.com}.dkim.fmhosted.com

This configuration means FastMail will automatically rotate public/private keys on your behalf to keep up with current best practice. For instance, we can increase key length as required."

Using the instructions from FastMail above, what do I put in the HOST and ADDRESS fields on my ZoneEdit CNAME/Alias page? (I know that "default" should be put in the TTL field.)

Thank you.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Going based off of what FastMail provided, they want you to create 3 CNAME records.

Host: fm1._domainkey
Address: fm1.foo.net.dkim.fmhosted.com.

Host: fm2._domainkey
Address: fm2.foo.net.dkim.fmhosted.com.

Host: fm3._domainkey
Address: fm3.foo.net.dkim.fmhosted.com.

Are you sure this is for foo.net? I've done a WHOIS lookup and it doesn't appear to be using Zoneedit services:

Domain Name: FOO.NET
Registry Domain ID: 4318694_DOMAIN_NET-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.google.com
Registrar URL: http://domains.google.com
Updated Date: 2018-04-08T06:39:37Z
Creation Date: 1995-04-07T04:00:00Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-04-08T04:00:00Z
Registrar: Google Inc.
Registrar IANA ID: 895
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: registrar-abuse@google.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8772376466
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Name Server: NS-CLOUD-D1.GOOGLEDOMAINS.COM
Name Server: NS-CLOUD-D2.GOOGLEDOMAINS.COM
Name Server: NS-CLOUD-D3.GOOGLEDOMAINS.COM
Name Server: NS-CLOUD-D4.GOOGLEDOMAINS.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: https://www.icann.org/wicf/
>>> Last update of whois database: 2018-08-30T15:00:17Z <<<

Last edited:

chickadee

Going based off of what FastMail provided, they want you to create 3 CNAME records.

Host: fm1._domainkey
Address: fm1.foo.net.dkim.fmhosted.com

Host: fm2._domainkey
Address: fm2.foo.net.dkim.fmhosted.com

Host: fm3._domainkey
Address: fm3.foo.net.dkim.fmhosted.com

Are you sure this is for foo.net? I've done a WHOIS lookup and it doesn't appear to be using Zoneedit services:

Domain Name: FOO.NET
Registry Domain ID: 4318694_DOMAIN_NET-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.google.com
Registrar URL: http://domains.google.com
Updated Date: 2018-04-08T06:39:37Z
Creation Date: 1995-04-07T04:00:00Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-04-08T04:00:00Z
Registrar: Google Inc.
Registrar IANA ID: 895
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: registrar-abuse@google.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8772376466
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Name Server: NS-CLOUD-D1.GOOGLEDOMAINS.COM
Name Server: NS-CLOUD-D2.GOOGLEDOMAINS.COM
Name Server: NS-CLOUD-D3.GOOGLEDOMAINS.COM
Name Server: NS-CLOUD-D4.GOOGLEDOMAINS.COM
DNSSEC: unsigned
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: https://www.icann.org/wicf/
>>> Last update of whois database: 2018-08-30T15:00:17Z <<<

Foo.net is NOT a real domain. I thought that "foo" was used on the Internet to mask a real domain.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Foo.net does exist which is the confusion. I tend to use the same as in the FastMail examples (mydomain.com) or sometimes (example.com or yourdomain.com). Sorry about that. The results are the same, just replace foo.net with your actual domain and it should be fine.

I also noticed that I forgot to add the period at the end of the Addresses (which is required for CNAMES). I've updated my previous post with that correction as without the periods it will append your domain to the end of the address.

chickadee

Chris, you have been most patient with me, and I thank you for that.

I have gotten Gmail to deliver messages with the return address abc@mydomain.net, but not messages with the return address abc@mydomain.us. I'm tearing my hair out.

Is the HOST in the CNAME record fm1._domainkey or fm1._domainkey.mydomain.net?

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
The host field will automatically assume .mydomain.net will be at the end so the entire hostname record will end up being fm1._domainkey.mydomain.net.

If you put fm1._domainkey.mydomain.net in the host field then the hostname would be fm1._domainkey.mydomain.net.mydomain.net

With your other domain "mydomain.us"

1. Is it also set up on FastMail?
2. Did you set up the same CNAME records in the DNS for mydomain.us making sure to replace the "Address" with: fm1.mydomain.us.dkim.fmhosted.com. (along with fm2 and fm3)?

chickadee

Chris, I have checked the CNAME and SPF records for both domains. Everything is the same, except, of course, the domain name is different. I have looked for typos, and there are none. I cannot figure out why messages with the return address abc@mydomain.us are not delivered to my Gmail accounts. And, no, none of my Gmail accounts has any filters, so filters could not be blocking the delivery of messages. Simply put, I am stumped.

Nevertheless, I thank you--profusely--for your assistance.