For the last 2 months or so, email forwarding for my domain has been failing intermittently.

DJLanznar

For the last 2-3 months, email forwarding for my domain lanznar.net has been failing sporadically. Forwarding succeeds 50-75% of the time, I'd estimate, but the remainder do not seem to get forwarded. When test emails to lanznar.net fail, the sender receives a bounce message which often is itself sent to spam, so senders are mostly not aware of any failure. I had used this forwarding for years with a very low volume, and ca. 2 years ago changed the destination to my new ISP and started using the domain as my primary email. After that change everything worked fine, as before (so I believe the account is set up correctly), until ca Jan/Feb this year when these failures began.

DJLanznar

Still having intermittent forwarding, but no response. As an experiment I have changed from having just a wild card mailmap entry to adding explicitly the email addresses commonly used for lanznar.net - all still forwarding to the same comcast address. So far this does not seem to have any effect and test mails are not being forwarded.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hello DJLanznar,

Due to the nature of email forwarding, our servers are often temporarily blocked by providers as the spam that does make it through our forwarding server is reported as spam by the recipients (in this case, Comcast customers) which in turns causes them to throttle/block emails from our mailmap server IP. It's an ongoing challenge we face every day.

I received confirmation that we were recently blocked by Comcast (and have been on and off in the past several months). We've made some adjustment today to help with the email flow again, and we'll be in contact with Comcast to seek further resolutions on the matter.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

DJLanznar

Thanks for your reply, and for your attention to this. I ended up receiving a large number of emails that had blocked/queued when this issue was resolved, and as far as I can tell my forwarding is now working properly, as before. I am sorry to learn that my ISP/mail host Comcast was the problem and hope the issue is resolved, though if the problem reappears in the future I guess we'll know what might be behind it. I haven't done so, but I could contact Comcast as well, since I am a customer, and make sure they are aware of the potential disruption for users who do email forwarding.

Thanks for resolving this issue.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Thank you, DJLanznar.

Side note: Comcast was/is blocking our EasyDNS mailmap forwarding again today. It shouldn't affect Zoneedit since the servers are on different IP's, but if anyone else who is reading this thread needs an alternative, I would suggest forwarding your email to another provider, Gmail for example, if you need uninterrupted email flow. We'll continue to work with Comcast as best we can.

-