Email transfer newbie question

ericgd

I feel so dumb with these things.
Until yesterday, I thought DNS was a disease! :D

Here is my situation:
1. I have a web site, ericgd.com, which I don't use anymore, (it's expensive). However, since it is my name, I would like to keep the domain name and use it only for emails. I think I set it up correctly (you could tell me). At the end, I just want my emails at ericgd.com to be transfered to my gmail account.
But I was wondering if it is now safe to cancel the hosting with Sherweb. If I cancel the hosting, will I lose what I did yesterday? Hosting and domain name registration are separated entities, right? But it looked so linked yesterday... I guess I just need reassurance...

2. I also registered a domain for my wife (oonik.com), and I was wondering if we can do the same thing and just use it for emails for the near future. It is too soon for an actual website, therefore no need for hosting yet. But I remember yesterday you web site asked me for the IP of my hosting to do the DNS Settings. But in her case, all we have is domain name registered, therefore no DNS. How can we set this up? I would transfer the hosting to you if it is simpler, but I just renewed it a few months ago.

Thank you, and I'm really sorry to bother you with these extremely newbie questions...

El.

Administrator
Staff member
Hello. If you're no longer using web hosting service at the hosting provider, you can change the IP address on your ZoneEdit account to the parked page. You have set up mailmaps for the domain name, and that's all you need for mail forwarding. You can do the same for the other domain name, but it's not currently using ZoneEdit name servers/DNS. You can choose to transfer registration of both domain names to ZoneEdit via the SWITCH REGISTRAR link under the DOMAIN SETTINGS tab for the domain name currently on ZoneEdit, and add the other domain name via the ADD A DOMAIN link on your account page, and this may be more economical for you than keeping registration where it is.