Email redirect doesnt

Glen Bodie

Has worked for years and is now not working. The mailmap is *@bodie.ca >> glen.bodie@gmail.com. But I sent an email to glen@bodie.ca and it never arrived in the gmail account. Not sure when it stopped working. Things sent to the gmail address directly do arrive, and there is nothing in that spam folder either. Any ideas?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Glen.
Are you sending test messages from the gmail account you are forwarding to?
If so they most likely will not be received as Gmail puts these messages in a loop and as such will not arrive in your in box.

Please try testing with a different sending address.

In addition there may be some gmail filtering.
On the left side bar of your Gmail account.. where the mail boxes are listed...
click MORE then click ALL MAIL to see if the messages are now available.

thanks
sandy

Glen Bodie

I think you nailed it Sandy. The redirector in ZoneEdit and in another domain on another ISP both succeed in getting the mail to my Gmail account ONLY if the sending email is not that same Gmail account. Not sure when they added this loop prevention, but I can see the sense in it. I just have to change my periodic but infrequent test methodology where I check to make sure the redirectors are working - use my wife's account to send the test emails! hanks.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Glen

just noticed your last reply ... use my wife's account.. and not used my wife's account... so I imagine you were waiting for test messages from me.
Sorry about that.
How is it working on your end now?

thanks
sandy

Glen Bodie

I think everything is working correctly now. I always used to test the redirector by sending myself test email messages using the GMail SMTP to send to something at bodie.ca which would get directed back to my Gmail account. Seems Google has added a loop detection/prevention algo and they no longer accept an email from Gmail that is to the same Gmail account. That made me think the redirector had failed. But now I just send from another account (Gmail or not) and the test message gets through. Sorry to have caused a fuss.