DynDNS vs. registrar vs. web host

bistromatic

Hello,
here is my situation: I use the free DynDNS service with a sub domain to reach my home network. My registrar is dotster and the nameservers are set to zoneedit. My web host is bluehost and I'd like to reach my web page under the main domain. However bluehost has set their nameservers as default.

Is there a solution to this dilemma?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Detlef

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
does bluehost require their nameservers to be delegated to the domain name to be the web host? what is the domain name of concern so I can check the current config

sandy

bistromatic

Hi Sandy,
thanks for your quick reply. The domain is notion360.com and the sub-domain used for DDNS is home.notion360.com.
Detlef

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
ok I'm a bit confused on the issue.. for the sub domain home.notion360.com, does that itself need to be delegated to non zoneedit nameservers?
If so you can create NS records for sub domains on the parent zone for notion360.com via the zoneedit manage interface on DNS settings.

I do not see bluehost nameservers set any where at present... you may be able use URL forwarding to point notion360.com to home.notion360.com but home.notion360.com needs to have a zone file somewhere...

bistromatic

Sorry for the confusion, I'm not a DNS/zone expert, I'm a total novice. What I'd like to accomplish is to keep DDNS provided by zoneedit to point to home.notion360.com. notion360.com, however, should point to my web server at bluehost. I noticed that on the DNS Settings page the NS record is set to LOCAL. What if I'd change that to point to bluehost? Would DDNS still work?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
where do the BlueHost nameservers come into play ?

"However bluehost has set their nameservers as default. "

bistromatic

When I go to my bluehost cpanel and look at the DNS settings then there it says that the nameservers are ns1 and ns2.bluehost.com and it shows the A, MX, etc. pointing to their host. At my registrar dotster the NS is set to zoneedit. Does that mean I can simply ignore the bluehost DNS because the registry is pointing to zoneedit?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
yes only the domains actual registrar can delegate nameserver records and only that DNS provider can create nameserver records for sub domains. the DNS provider is also where you wold create any A Mx Cname etc zone file records... so you can use zoneedit for the root domains dns and also to create sub domain NS records pointing to dyndns nameservers if that is what you need to do... but since you have a web host they provide an IP address yes? what is the dyndns dynamic record for?

bistromatic

If i create an A reocrd for notion360.com to point to bluehost [I have the IP] nstead of using LOCAL would that screw up the DDNS?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
ok i see now the DNS for home.notion360.com on zoneedit ... please change the dyn ttl to be no less then 600 seconds though.
and yes if you point the root domain to the bluehost IP you should be all set.