Dynamic DNS Issues

Alan

Hi,

I recently received a new IP address from my provider, and the dynamic update client has successfully updated the nsX.zoneedit.com records.

However, this has not propagated out correctly, with many major DNS providers (e.g. Google, OpenDNS) remaining with the old IP.

I note that this is a common problem at the moment.

I use the legacy DynDNS system for a three domains and their numerous subdomains.
neast.org.uk
moonlight-solutions.co.uk
newcastlecmf.org.uk

At the moment I have had to transfer the DNS away for my most important domain (neast.org.uk) to force an update and propagation as it was giving me major e-mail problems. However, I would like to transfer it back, but need this problem fixing first.

Please would you assist me with this!

Regards,

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there.

The dyn records appear to be fine at present;

dig @ns1.zoneedit.com a moonlight-solutions.co.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R4-P3 <<>> @ns1.zoneedit.com a moonlight-solutions.co.uk
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 43340
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;moonlight-solutions.co.uk. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
moonlight-solutions.co.uk. 300 IN A 77.103.99.114

could you please delegate to:
dns1.zoneedit.com
dns2.zoneedit.com
both at the domains registry and within the NS link on your zoneedit members page.. can you let me know which dynamic record is not functioning properly

thaks
sandy

Alan

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the quick response.

I see that moonlight-solutions.co.uk and newcastlecmf.org.uk have now propagated correctly. I will change neast.org.uk back to ZoneEdit DNS servers.

When I messaged you, none of the dynamic records were functioning properly (either of the domains or the subdomains) - see the attached image for mail.neast.org.uk which I tested 4 days after the IP change! ZoneEdit was displaying the correct IPs for all the domains/subdomains, but it wasn't propagating through the DNS system correctly.

The nameservers for neast.org.uk and moonlight-solutions.co.uk are/were ns1.zoneedit.com and ns7.zoneedit.com (though I shall try dns1.zoneedit.com and dns2.zoneedit.com now as you suggest). For newcastlecmf.org.uk it was ns7.zoneedit.com and ns8.zoneedit.com

Did you change anything or did it just "sort itself" out?!

Many thanks again,
Alan

Attachments

• mail neast propagation 29 may.png
    mail neast propagation 29 may.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 0

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Alan

We did have a bug affecting some DDNS domain names that had their initial zones loaded via zone file upload recently fixed. It appears that this fix may have been beneficial to another unreported concern.
How are things going now?

thanks
sandy