Dynamic DNS Dyn Records not Synchronising automatically with external Name Servers

pcarnegie

Hi

Starting Friday 2019-08-30 at around 11:00 UTC, although the dynamic ip addresses are updated correctly into zoneedit, those updates don't seem to get propagated to other name servers, eg 8.8.8.8. If I log into the control panel, go to edit the dyn records, but not actually change anything, click Next, Click Confirm, and then use nslookup to check the domain resolution, I find that the dyn records have successfully been propagated to other name servers.

I've been using Zoneedit for years and years, (2002-04-16, that's 17 years !!), and it has always worked flawlessly and correctly during that very long time so something has happened/changed.

The Domain concerned is carnegie-dixon.com
I use DirectUpdate to update the dyn records - again used for years and years from

Help please !

Thank you

Peter

Goucham

I wanted to chime in to say I observed the same behavior today, Sept 2, after a public IP address switch.

Updates are normally handled automatically by the router (Edgerouter.) Both router and ZoneEdit control panel confirmed that that correct DYN record was being set but the updated IP address did not propagate to ZoneEdit's domain servers until I manually edited the records as pcarnegie did - no changes, just editing and confirming the values already there.

--Graham

rafe01

I have this problem also.
Everything looks good to the DDNS client in my router.
Everything looks good on the Zonedit site (correct IP address is there)
nslookup points to an old IP.

As with the other comments this is one of the very few times I've seen a problem.
Is anyone looking at this???

I've just updated manually so will wait to see if that forces propagation.

zesupport

Staff member
My apologies for the late response as we had to get one of our Systems team to investigate the issue. We've had several users report experiencing similar issues and we've found that the majority of them have not enabled their dynamic tokens and are instead using their ZoneEdit account password. We believe the issue is being caused by this, so you'll want to make sure to enable your token (you can access this by editing your Dynamic DNS settings and going to the bottom of that page) and use said token within your router/software settings. If the problem still persists please let me know.

Attachments

• 2019-09-03_1522.png
    2019-09-03_1522.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 8

jpbakke

I have the exact same problem. I've used zoneclient.py for years to update my Dynamic DNS here and now, its not propogating to the dns1/dns2 servers. I switch to the token authentication while I was investigating this. I tried this for the last few days. Zone client (0.65 latest) reports no update needed. When I log into my domain (brazzy.net) I can see the server is set to dynamic address mode and has my updated IP.. But my DNS test queries to your servers do NOT reflect the new IP address. I waited 24 hours and still no change. Please, fix this or Ill have to find another provider, I've been a member going back over 10 years. I admit I'm a legacy customer, with free credits for my domains. If you're going to charge me for the dyndns feature, I'm ok with that but I need this fixed...

pcarnegie

My apologies for the late response as we had to get one of our Systems team to investigate the issue. We've had several users report experiencing similar issues and we've found that the majority of them have not enabled their dynamic tokens and are instead using their ZoneEdit account password. We believe the issue is being caused by this, so you'll want to make sure to enable your token (you can access this by editing your Dynamic DNS settings and going to the bottom of that page) and use said token within your router/software settings. If the problem still persists please let me know.

Hi Thank you for replying.

I will certainly try out your suggestion, however, why is it that after 17 years, I now need to use the "dynamic token" please ?

and

why does simply clicking through the Dyn Records, Edit, Next, Confirm sequence cause the IP address to propagate correctly ?

Please don't get me wrong, I am very grateful that ZoneEdit has provided me DNS services free for over 17 years without interruption, or fault.

Once again, thank you for the suggestion of a fix.

Peter

niqnm

I think the problem still exist.
Although the new ip address got updated to zoneedit DYN records via client (ex. ddclient) but it does not get distributed.
Currently, as temporary workaround, I need to login to zoneedit manually, view the same record and do manual confirm on the control panel, only then the new ip gets distributed or active. I think this starts to happen since end of last week. Before that it was running fine (we'll not that fine because before that we have a CA problem also). But before that, it was fine.

Cypher3

Problem still exists.
Been using the token or years instead of the password so that's not it. It happened first on August 23 and was fixed by August 24. And it started again on August 30.

bravo74

problem still exists
Or login with password or token the problem is the same
has always worked well
We need solution
Thank you

robbbo

I also experience this problem since around end of August 2019. I always used dynamic tokens (instead of ZoneEdit account password) so it is not the issue. I even reset the dynamic token and updated in my client, but that didn't help. The problem is that my client updates the new IP and even ZoneEdit response is:
Response: <SUCCESS CODE="201" TEXT="no update required for XXX to xx.xx.xx.xx" ZONE="xxx.xxx">

But similar to report of others, the new IP is not propagated to DNS. Therefore my update client still tries to update the IP over and over again.

zesupport

Staff member
Hello all. I've notified our Systems team of all your responses and further investigation is on the way. I will post an update as soon as I have the details.

sqweek

Same problem here, first noticed at 2019-09-02T19:11:06Z+00:00 after my ISP connection dropped and I got a new IP. I have a script running once an hour to check that my domain's DNS info is accurate and update it if necessary, which ran at the above time and apparently succeeded:

<SUCCESS CODE="200" TEXT="xxx.xxx updated to NN.NN.NN.NN" ZONE="xxx.xxx">

Every hour since then it has found dns1.zoneedit.com still reporting the previous IP, and my script's attempts to rectify the situation are met with the CODE="201" response reported by robbbo.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
sorry for the delay. We have discovered a system error that is causing ddns updates to occasionally fail. While we are looking into it may I suggest a manual reload of any zone files affected. A quick change of a DYN TTL record will do it.

thanks and my sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

pcarnegie

Thanks, that's promptly fixed the issue for me. The web interface reported 0 for my existing DYN TTL which is less than the accepted minimum (60s), in case that's related.

Hi sqweek

U don't even need to change anything, just do click Next, click Confirm and the external DNS servers will be updated

BTW, nice nickname

niqnm

Hi sqweek

U don't even need to change anything, just do click Next, click Confirm and the external DNS servers will be updated

BTW, nice nickname

Yup that is true .. to manually confirm .. just click next and confirm .. it will do the job.

pcarnegie

Hi

At Mon Sep 9 00:24:09 2019 UTC I was given a new IP, and it seems to have been AUTOMATICALLY propagated out, eg to 8.8.8.8, as confirmed by nslookup. Further checks later on tonight, but it's looking good so far :)

So thank U all at ZoneEdit very much for fixing the problem, really appreciated.

Peter

niqnm

Yes. It seems to be back to normal now. Client update and ip properly propageted out. Thanks zoneedit.