Domain Mail not Forwarding to Yahoo

wellardmac

We seem to be having problem getting our domain emails forwarding into a Yahoo account today. This happened once before a few weeks ago, where emails were delayed by many hours, sometimes a day. I haven't seen any emails since early this morning, including test messages.

Is there some kind of issue?

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
We made some changes to our outbound mail service yesterday which should have resolved much of the Yahoo issue. However, if they've decided to throttle emails from our system again, that is something which should fix itself over time.

However, if we're to check our logs for specifics, we'll need to know your domain name and the email address you were sending to. It would be best to send that information using the Forum's Direct Messaging option (Hover over my Avatar and click Start Conversation).

wellardmac

I wanted to post back on the public thread that this issue appears to have been resolved, in case anyone else was looking for similar info.

What I was seeing for inbound domain email forwards delivering to my Yahoo account was that I wouldn't receive emails for an entire day, and then they'd come through in bursts late at night. When this happened in February, the delays would catch up in about 12 hours; this time around, it was up to two days delay. Pretty painful for active correspondence.

According to the logs pulled by the Zoneedit admins, Yahoo was deferring Zoneedit email forwards with this error: "421 4.7.0 [TSS04] Messages from x.x.x.x temporarily deferred due to user complaints - 4.16.55.1".

Yahoo's Postmaster help page indicates a 421 error is "The message content contained objectionable content, we're seeing unusual traffic from your servers, or emails from your mail server are generating complaints from Yahoo Mail users." There's an option to have IP addresses reviewed.

I use my domain forward for personal email (no business or bulk), so my own behavior wasn't the problem. My guess is the IP address used by the Zoneedit mail server somehow got blacklisted.

Chris explained "The issue is that with so many emails being deferred our mail queues get large and once they open the gates we deliver as many as we can until we're deferred again. So this causes a backlog. We'll continue to try to deliver them but if it fails over so many days we may bounce them back to the sender as undeliverable."

I also contacted Yahoo support (https: // forums .yahoo. net/, remove the spaces for an active link) to see what was happening on their side. Their sole comment was: "You'll want Zoneedit to contact our Postmaster team with the full headers of a delayed email. Our team will be able to investigate this further afterwards." (Postmaster https: // postmaster. yahoo. com/, remove the spaces for an active link).

Zoneedit did a great job working to resolve this issue. Chris indicated the team made a fix on Monday that eventually worked its way through the system. Several batches of Monday and Tuesday email finally came through late Wednesday evening, and this morning (Thursday) my domain forward appears to be working with normal (almost instant) delivery times again. Let's hope that's the last of the problem!

Chris - thanks for all the help!

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
You're welcome, wellardmac. Just in case anyone else reads this thread.

The issue was not exclusive to Yahoo deliveries.

Many other mail hosts may have had a different reaction to how they handled email from our IP. In short, our IP reputation took a hit due to high levels of spam originating from our network. This started earlier in the month (the first blip was noticed March 10th). Our administrators worked hard on finding the problem and fixed it on Monday, March 19th, but the damage was already done. Many providers may have deferred your emails causing delays while some may have allowed it through but tagged it as possible spam. In a small number of cases, the mail provider bounced/rejected the emails as undeliverable.

Moving on, the email flow will return to normal shortly (if not already for most of you).

We here at Zoneedit do apologise for the Inconvenience.