CNAME issue with a "trailing period"

thoomp

Quick question about CNAME and the DNS manager.

Zero issues with NS, MX, TXT, which is great.

However, a company I'm working with wants the CNAME name entered in as "autodiscover" and the CNAME value as "autodiscover.outlook.com" -- but the DNS manager complains to me that it's not a valid server name. So, I click on the yellow warning to override it -- but I think the DNS manager may be adding in a trailing period so the value entered in is incorrectly "autodiscover.outlook.com." Again, note the extra period at the end -- which I didn't add and don't want.

According to the company, Microsoft is validating it as correct but DNSChecker isn't even seeing it. Really appreciate any quick feedback as this is for a mail service cutover. Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance!

thoomp

Sorry -- Moved to ZoneEdit Help Forum -- I posted this in the wrong place.

Moderator/Admin - Please delete this thread. Thanks!

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hello,

Enter the address as "autodiscover.outlook.com." CNAME records specifically need that period in the end.

If you don't enter a period, it will turn the record into "autodiscover.outlook.com.yourdomain.tld" - which is why the system was warning you.

thoomp

Haha! Talk about speedy service!!! Particularly as a moderator on another and unrelated forum -- a huge thanks for your help. :)