Changing to Dynamic DNS

jaimevives

Hi:

I've been a happy and satisfied user for more than 15 years now, using your free dns service for my hobby domain (ignorancia.org). It is hosted on my own server at home, behind an ADSL which until now had a free static IP address from my provider. But in a few days they are going to switch me to dynamic IP address. So, my question is, how I should proceed to change my current DNS settings for dynamic DNS? Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hello Jaime,

You'll want to read through here first:

Do the first steps to create your DYN Authentication token so that you can use that as the "password" in your Dynamic Client.

If you don't have a device (router) that does Dynamic Updates, then you'll need to choose one of the Software methods. Note: some software clients do have fees associated with them.

jaimevives

HI Chris:

Thanks. I already read the tutorials, but what I meant is if I should delete first my current DNS settings before creating the dynamic DNS.

Regards,

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
The "A" Record IP address should be set to what you currently use (since you manually set that). Dynamic DNS updates create an "A" Record as well which means you can have TWO IP addresses for the same hostname because the DNS system will treat them in a round-robin fashion.

You don't want to have a normal "A" Record configured as well as a Dynamic A Record configured at the same time since the normal A Record will eventually be out of date when your IP changes.

In short, once you set up the Dynamic DNS for the hostname you already had set as an "A" Record, delete the old "A" Record.