Cannot do apt or ping google.com unless disable ipv6

Twinclouds01

I just notice I cannot do apt update any more. It always hung there. Then I tried to ping Google.com to test. It also hung. I noticed that it uses ipv6 address and get no response. (shown below) After I disabled ipv6, it works fine.
This happens for debian on Pogoplug mobile/RaspberryPi with Debian 9.8. They have always been very reliable. I am not sure what happened. Somebody told me this is a DNS server problem. Does anybody else has the same problem?
Example of Putty SSH output:
root@PogoDebian-1:~# ping google.com
PING google.com(lax28s10-in-x0e.1e100.net (2607:f8b0:4007:80d::200e)) 56 data bytes (......and hung).

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there

what domain name do you have with zoneedit? and what services...

thanks..

Twinclouds01

My domain name is twinclouds.com. I have Zoneedit's free DNS service (I have been with Zoneedit for almost 10 years). But I am not sure if it is related to your service because DNS gateways that I am using are Cox and Google (8.8.8.8) and OpenDNS (208.67.222.222).

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again

ok... that is local (caching) DNS. We are authoritative only. perhaps cloudflare's public server @ 1.1.1.1

regards.

Twinclouds01

Now I am not sure if this is DNS server problem because my Win10 PC and Ubuntu on VMWare work fine. Maybe still a problem or a combination of problems related to the Linux boxes. The funny thing is both Raspberry Pi and Debian on an old Dockstar box have the same problem. Not sure what it is.

Twinclouds01

Sandy:
I didn't see your reply but I have some new observations. I installed CentOS on my RPi. Ping google.com works fine as well. I think this supports the opinion in my previous reply.

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again

i am sorry. this is not really something we can help with but glad to hear CentOS is working for you :

regards.