A-records with SSL certificate

m.bactong

We have two existing a-records named sealifebase.ca and sealifebase.se for our domain sealifebase.org. Sealifebase.ca has its own SSL certificate named sealifebase.ca while the other one has none. When accessing through sealifebase.org an error that states NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID usually appears. What can be done to solve this issue?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
sorry. I am not sure what the issue is ... sealifebase.org is the only domain listed above using zoneedit and https://sealifebase.ca/
resolves fine for me at present... this would not be a DNS issue but i do suggest you contact the web host and/or SSL vendor you are using with the concern.... and as sealifebase.org uses round robin DNS you would want to make sure that both web hosting sites have duplicate ssl information

sandy

m.bactong

Yes, accessing sealifebase.ca directly pose no problem. The problem arises when the site is being accessed through sealifebase.org, since sealifebase.org doesn't have an SSL certificate. The question is do we need to get a certificate for sealifebase.org or there are some other way around? And, if we need a certificate, what type of certificate it would be? can we have a certificate that would handle sealifebase.org, sealifebase.ca and sealifebase.se? Thanks in advance

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
i dont think having a ssl certificate for sealifebase.org will help make the links on sealifebase.org that point to sealifebase.ca and sealifebase.se work in SSL fashion... thats an sl vendor and web host issue I believe... that said you can get an ssl certificate that holds SAN .. alternative names in the same certificate but unfortunately zoneedit does not offer SSL certificates that provide SAN support...

m.bactong

Thank you very much, that is exactly the kind of answer that I am looking for. Another question, in case we will be buying a SAN certificate from other providers how can we install (?for the lack of proper term) the said certificate in zoneedit? Do you also have any suggestion for SAN certificate providers?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi again

the certificate is not installed on the DNS provider but at the web host. as for SAN providers... you could contact the vendor directly Geotrust.com as example should be able to help.

thanks