550 recipient rejected

josal99

Hi. One of my MailForwards is occasionally returning recipient rejected errors when trying to mail to it:

Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address
Diagnostic code: smtp;550 <xxxxxxxx@salgado.org> recipient rejected
Remote system: dns;mx.salgado.org (TCP|17.41.209.31|29540|66.96.140.108|25) (bosimpinc11 bizsmtp ESMTP server ready)

Any idea why that would be?

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
The error message doesn't appear to be related to our email forwarding. We would just be relaying the message back.

Nothing in the error message you provided indicates mx-caprica.zoneedit.com is rejecting the relay.

I see a reference to mx.salgado.org which doesn't exist in the DNS on our end.

Additionally, it makes reference to two different IP's - 17.41.209.31 & 66.96.140.108

host 17.41.209.31 - Apple Inc. IP
31.209.41.17.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer st14p37im-asmtp002.me.com.

host 66.96.140.108 - Bizland IP
108.140.96.66.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer 108.140.96.66.static.eigbox.net

That's about as much info as I can see with the information provided.

josal99

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your response. If you're hosting my domain and my MailForwards, wouldn't it make sense for you to have an mx record for it? What would it take to get it all sorted out?

Thanks again.

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hi again,

Yes, there is an MX Record set up in the DNS for salgado.org, but it is not mx.salgado.org

The MX Record for salgado.org is:
salgado.org. 3599 IN MX 0 mx-caprica.zoneedit.com.

This is why I mentioned "Nothing in the error message you provided indicates mx-caprica.zoneedit.com is rejecting the relay. "

josal99

OK, looks like I need to get mx.salgado.org removed. I have no idea where it's configured, but I'll start with whoever owns the IP address. Thank you!

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Excellent. Let us know if you find anything further which relates to Zoneedit in any error messages and we'll investigate further.