Dynamic DNS not updating, Error

dharper21

Hi

I use an ASUS RT-N56U router with a third party firmware (Andy Padavan) to update my ZoneEdit domain. This has been working very well for several years.
In the past 6 months or so I get the following error showing in the router log and the Dynamic IP address is not updated.
Is this happening because the client is checking and updating my ZoneEdit IP too quickly?

Router log attached. If I try to post the actual text I get SPAM errors from the forum software.

The same router DDNS client is updating a changeip DOT com address with no errors.

Thank you
DH

Attachments

• DDNS ZoneEdit error.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 4

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
HI there
It does look to be a TOO SOON error... updates cannot be sent lers than 10 minutes apart or 600 seconds. Can you manually update that to 30 minutes?

regards

dharper21

I have it set to 12 hours and forced every 10 days. Not sure why I'm getting the 10 minute error.
I am checking to see if I have another client running on a Windows PC somewhere. Can you tell from the server side what updated the IP? It does eventually get updated somehow. :)

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
we see two updates within 2 minutes, looks like the IP changed.

There were two other checks some hours later, but the IP did update successfully.

what could happened here is that the router ran a check, but then a couple minutes afterwards the IP changed and an update was required.

we may be able to chalk this one up to random chance, if it happens frequently we can look into any configuration issues on the router, but as for now it seems as though it's working.

dharper21

I changed TTL to 1200 in my ZoneEdit settings and ran a manual update. It worked but will see what happens when the next change takes place.

Last edited:

dharper21

I just reconnected my router. The DDNS updated and propagated very quickly with no errors.
I dropped TTL to 720 and tried again. No problem.

Since my ISP DHCP Lease Expires in 20 minutes I'm ok with the TTL at 12 minutes.
My IP seldom changes unless the router actually disconnects anyway.