Email forwarding, preventing email spoofing?

barryt

Hi,
I use zonedit solely for email forwarding from my personal domain (let's call it xxx.net) to my ISP (Aussiebroadband). That all works fine for a number of years.
I've seen an upsurge in return emails from 'me@xxx.net' containing spam content. I don't have any mail services on my xxx.net domain.

Would it help me to add a DMARC record to the DNS setup in zonedit to prevent my me@xxx.net address being used to send emails from spoofers??

Thanks

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Hello Barryt,

You can set up an SPF record on your domain if you're using Zoneedit mailmaps.

In the TXT Record section:

Host: @
TEXT: v=spf1 include:zoneedit.com ~all

barryt

Thanks Chris. I've added that.
btw, I've also tried postmark's dmarc monitoring tool which means i also had to add a TXT record.
Host: _dmarc
TEXT: v=DMARC1; p=none; pct=100; rua=mailto:re+XXXXXXX@dmarc.postmarkapp.com; sp=none; aspf=r;

will these two entries co-exist ok?

Thanks
Barry

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
Yes, that is perfectly fine and a standard set up for most mail protection records.

barryt

Sorry to trouble you again, just thinking a bit more...
I have set my reply address in my email client (outlook) to my domain Me@xxx.net
When I send an email out from my ISP, aussiebroadband, with me@xxx.net as the reply, do I also therefore need to include Aussiebroadband.com.au in the SPF TXT record, ie v=spf1 a:zoneedit.com a:aussiebroadband.com.au -all

Thanks!

Chris Cherry

Zoneedit Support
That SPF record wouldn't be advisable.

What you're specifying is that our web hosting server for zoneedit.com

zoneedit.com. 300 IN A 64.68.200.42

and

aussiebroadband.com.au. 3600 IN A 202.142.142.18

their hosting server is the only hosts able to send emails based on your domain. Neither of those servers are responsible for sending emails for your domain. I wouldn't suggest using that info.

What you might want to try is the following:

v=spf1 mx include:aussiebroadband.com.au ~all

If you have any further questions or concerns, let me know.