Free DNS for 5 domains has been reinstated for legacy users

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
As you're all aware, we grandfathered all existing free domains into the new system once we took over operating Zoneedit after the acquisition.

You're probably also aware that no further free DNS domains could be added. We began hearing about the previous arrangement, that legacy users were allowed to have 3 or 5 free DNS domains in their accounts, that if they took one out, it could be replaced with another, etc.

We didn't support that immediately after the takeover simply because we weren't aware of that arrangement. It's become clear in the intervening time that many of you have come to rely on this mechanism so we've reinstated it on all existing members who were members before we acquired Zoneedit.

No final decision has been made on whether to allow new free DNS on new users. We'll see how the transition to forum based support goes before we decide.

Hello, Mark,

Thank you for your work on this. I have been a ZoneEdit client for years, and I initially made use of the 5 free domains. I liked the service so much that I thought I should actually be paying something, so I started buying credits, moved more domains to ZoneEdit, and added a backup DNS server (the one in New Zealand) for a credit a month for some zones. However, when two of your name servers failed in June of 2014 (ns2 and ns3.ZoneEdit.com) I discovered they were the only two resolvers pointing to the mail servers and web pages for two domains. That was a mess, and I had to very quickly set up DNS with other providers (now I use two of them, in two different countries). I did leave 3 domains on ZoneEdit hoping things would turn around for you, and to use them with Dynamic DNS. So I can now move two domains back to ZoneEdit and still have free DNS for the five? I like the new system (caprica?) and the use of tokens for Dynamic DNS.

Thanks,

Gordon

markjr

easyZone CEO
Staff member
Hi Gordon, yes the Zoneedit control panel is caprica and supports (recommends) using the auth token for DDNS

AlexG

Hi Mark. I am a legacy ZoneEdit user and I only used one domain out of free five. When I click on "Add domain" in the member control panel, the bottom right corner does not display a link to add a free zone. What am I doing wrong? Am I eligible for 4 more free DNS zones?

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Alex. can you please let me know a domain name that is in your account at present.

thanks
sandy

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there

hmm, at cp.zoneedit.com, logged into your account and clicked the add a domain link on the left side bar.

Below the add a reverse net block
"
You have 4 free slots left. Add Free DNS Domain"

is it still not viewable on your side?

thanks
sandy

Mike Jansen

I've got 4 remaining free domains but 2 domains that are listed "paid". Is there anyway to convert them to free?

Thanks for re-instating the free domains for legacy users!

WTRiker

Ive got the same question. I have two domains...only one shows as free. At the bottom of the screen I also show the 4 free slots left. Of my two domains that are in use, one shows active and free dns, the other shows just active and dns. Can or will this one be converted back to free? Im not hurting for credits at the moment - nearly enough to carry me 2 years so its not a huge deal, but I am curious.
Thx!

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
WTRiker..
please click the Get Support link on your members page and from there you cam send in a request to modify the service levels.

thanks
sandy

loudon

Hi, I've used zoneedit.com for 10 years plus. At one point I was a heavy commercial user with paid accounts in addition to my home network. Now I only have two domains with very little traffic. I just got a notice saying that my account cant be renewed because there are not enough zone credits. Both of my domains show as free, but it looks like I was given 6 free credits last fall, and then they were burned off a month at a time. I used to just get 5 domains free. How are you administering this?

Thanks www.loudons.net is my main domain

sandy

Administrator
Staff member
hi there

Your domains are set to free DNS services but you are using zoneedit back up MX services for
host -t mx loudons.net
loudons.net mail is handled by 10 mail.loudons.net.
loudons.net mail is handled by 100 mxbackup1.clearsdn.com.
loudons.net mail is handled by 110 mxbackup2.clearsdn.com.
loudons.net mail is handled by 120 mx-caprica.zoneedit.com.

Back up MX is charged at 1 credit per month. If you would like back up MX removed then please click the Get Support link on your zoneedit members page and from there you can make an authenticated request.

thanks
sandy

aguldman

As you're all aware, we grandfathered all existing free domains into the new system once we took over operating Zoneedit after the acquisition.

You're probably also aware that no further free DNS domains could be added. We began hearing about the previous arrangement, that legacy users were allowed to have 3 or 5 free DNS domains in their accounts, that if they took one out, it could be replaced with another, etc.

We didn't support that immediately after the takeover simply because we weren't aware of that arrangement. It's become clear in the intervening time that many of you have come to rely on this mechanism so we've reinstated it on all existing members who were members before we acquired Zoneedit.

No final decision has been made on whether to allow new free DNS on new users. We'll see how the transition to forum based support goes before we decide.

Hello Mark,

I have had a ZoneEdit account for a long time. I deleted 2 of my original 5 free domains, so I only have 3 active free ones along with four paid ones. Can you help me convert two of my paid domains to be free so that I can use all 5 of my free domains? I didn't see any place to do that in the self-serve control panel.

Thanks for your help!
Andrew